Lotus Elan

Taking Toad for a hop.

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 pm

The roads around here are spectacularly bad. Pot holes that seem to return echos, bad bodged patches breaking up already. Ridges, lumps and sunken drain covers. 40 miles outside London it is a disgrace!

One particular road has got the lot plus the usual load of poorly parked gargantuan SUVs. (Surely there must be a limit to their growth? I note some have ladders fitted allow access.)

Toad takes it all with remarkable aplomb. I realised how well it rode when I crashed and lept along the same stretch a few hours later in my wifes modern shopping trolley.

Hopefully, with the new rear end, it will be better still!
Last edited by vincereynard on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincereynard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 986
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Location: amersham

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:31 am

Similar roads are here in Tunbridge Wells, the local residents association want to put in speed cushions and reduce the speed to 20mph. The speed cushions will be the best part of the road and won’t slow down mummy delivering Fiona and Tristram in the family premium badged SUV, nor will it improve the parking or road manners.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 am

I seem to recall commenting on the ride when I wrote my "review" of Toad.

If only mine was like that (as I said rather wistfully at the time).
1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Chassis 50/1115L
User avatar
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Location: South Coast, UK

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 am

Spyder fan wrote:Similar roads are here in Tunbridge Wells, the local residents association want to put in speed cushions and reduce the speed to 20mph. The speed cushions will be the best part of the road and won’t slow down mummy delivering Fiona and Tristram in the family premium badged SUV, nor will it improve the parking or road manners.


Speed cushion. Is that a Tunbridge euphemism? Nothing so coarse as a Speed Bump!
vincereynard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 986
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Location: amersham

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:18 pm

This is the type of thing they mean
Image
speed cushions

Rather than this

Image
speed hump

Most cars can just aim for the centre of a speed cushion and pass over with minimal fuss, but don't try doing it in an Elan or you will lose a few bits!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:57 pm

what cars like speed humps versus speed cushions versus neither has always intrigued me.

My Esprit can go over a speed cushion at 100 kmh and not notice it, where as the Elan, Plus 2 and Landcruiser dont like them at anywhere near that speed. On speed humps the Landcruiser just shrugs them off but none of the Lotus like them.

It is fun testing the limits though to see how the cars respond. You may not have a racetrack on the way to work each day but you can give your car a work out all the same and within the speed limit also. :lol:

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Vince,
Here's another toad story that you might find amusing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ENUqV5-bw
Cheers,
Colin.



vincereynard wrote:The roads around here are spectacularly bad. Pot holes that seem to return echos, bad bodged patches breaking up already. Ridges, lumps and sunken drain covers. 40 miles outside London it is a disgrace!

One particular road has got the lot plus the usual load of poorly parked gargantuan SUVs. (Surely there must be a limit to their growth? I note some have ladders fitted allow access.)

Toad takes it all with remarkable aplomb. I realised how well it rode when I crashed and lept along the same stretch a few hours later in my wifes modern shopping trolley.

Hopefully, with the new rear end, it will be better still!
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 04 Oct 2003
Location: Gold Coast QLD Australia

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 am

rgh0 wrote:what cars like speed humps versus speed cushions versus neither has always intrigued me.

My Esprit can go over a speed cushion at 100 kmh and not notice it, where as the Elan, Plus 2 and Landcruiser dont like them at anywhere near that speed. On speed humps the Landcruiser just shrugs them off but none of the Lotus like them.

It is fun testing the limits though to see how the cars respond. You may not have a racetrack on the way to work each day but you can give your car a work out all the same and within the speed limit also. :lol:

cheers
Rohan


Probably the worse riding car I've driven recently was one of these tart's handbags -
562-feb.-26-09.16.jpg and


19" wheels and tyres like rubber bands. Average owner must have specially attached toupes. Nice roof shame about the rest!

fatboyoz wrote:Hi Vince,
Here's another toad story that you might find amusing.
"https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ENUqV5-bw"
Cheers,
Colin.


That is excellent. Are there any sequels?
vincereynard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 986
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Location: amersham

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:40 am

vincereynard wrote:
Probably the worse riding car I've driven recently was one of these tart's handbags -
562 Feb. 26 09.16.jpg


Elanfan1 (Steve) had one of those, can't comment on his handbag
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: 2cams70 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 am

You can hit speed bumps at insane speeds in a Peugeot 505 and hardly feel anything!
1970 Ford Escort Twin Cam
1972 Ford Escort GT1600 Twin Cam
1980 Ford Escort 2.0 Ghia
Peugeot 505 GTI Wagons (5spdx1) (Autox1)
2015 Honda City 5spd.
2cams70
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 408
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Location: Australia

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:57 pm

Spyder fan wrote:
vincereynard wrote:
Probably the worse riding car I've driven recently was one of these tart's handbags -
The attachment 562 Feb. 26 09.16.jpg is no longer available


Elanfan1 (Steve) had one of those, can't comment on his handbag


It’s National Bellend Awareness day tomorrow, thought I’d make you aware!

My SLK has 18” wheels so don’t think it has the same ride issues, I believe they were originally on 17” wheels so probably a better ride again. It’s a lovely car and currently on Pistonheads for sale 6 speed manual sub 22000 miles! Very rare colour.

9c9cbdf9-2390-49d1-a119-bb158a44b3b3.jpeg and
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
User avatar
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Location: Cardiff in Welsh Wales

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest