Lotus Elan

Plus 2 values on the up?

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:33 pm

I have tentative plans for an electric 7
Originally, looking for a +2 to convert. About 10 years ago, the +2 is more scarce in N. America.
Range is the problem. With existing batteries, rebuilt Chev Bolt or Tesla batteries. Looks like I should be able to get to shopping 80 km 55 miles away. Hook into a charger, and return.

It doesn’t seem there is/will be any big breakthrough in battery technology.
My 80ish year old just retired computer programmer father finally turned in his p3 computer from the 80’s. Citing computers haven’t made any huge leaps, they are simply a bit faster.

As I wait for batteries to vastly improve before I make the plunge, I havent seen any new breakthroughs.
And it actually looks like I will be going for the good old graphite composite, rather than the lithium. But we will see.
W. Kootenays B.C. Canada
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
h20hamelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 pm

mmmmm. I am rather hoping for the uptake in Hydrogen fuel cell technology. No need for batteries, generate the electricity you need by burning Hydrogen (By product: Water).
Honda and Hyundai have cars with this, but the problem right now is generating the Hydrogen in the first place and then finding somewhere to store it. I'm sure the horse and cart will be making a come back soon.....
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 pm

+1 for Hydrogen powered cars, there is currently research that shows the production of Hydrogen from solar power. A scheme that would use vast arrays of solar panels in say Australia would be used for this, to overcome the difficult Hydrogen transportation storage problem is to combine the hydrogen with nitrogen to make ammonia. It’s a technique that is well-established, and has been done on an industrial scale for nearly a century, Ammonia can be compressed into a liquid at much more moderate temperatures, and is relatively easy to transport.
What was missing – until recently – was the technology to extract the hydrogen back out of the ammonia at the other end of the export equation. However the establishment of a pilot plant to test technology that can refine a 100% pure stream of hydrogen from gasified ammonia using a metal membrane is under way.
Craven
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: