What car cover

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:10 am

My Plus 2 comes back from the paint shop within the next week or two. Although I have a garage it tends to be a bit dusty as it is regularly used for through access.
I need to buy a dust cover, so I?m thinking that it must be breathable, not drape all over the floor and probably be close fitting so that dust cannot get between the cover and the paintwork. Oh and I prefer not to spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds for one.
Any suggestions?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 am

Well for one thing, choose something made of natural fibres. I have a cover made of nylon, like tent material, and it attracts dust due to the static electricity it generates. It's also hard to get on the car sometimes, because it's so light it slides off as I am trying to hook the opposite side under the body.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 am

I would not put something on the paint for the first few months, rather dust it off carefully if it really needs it for a special occasion before the paint had hardened to the core. Building a wood frame to cover it like a tent (light paint tarp keeping the wind off), but not touching, if you're really for covering it maybe ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:42 am

Mine came from here - http://carcovers.eu/specials___projects.htm

99999.jpg and

It has a soft fleecy inner lining.

There is a number on it somewhere if you are interested.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:55 am

Ooh how posh a carpeted garage! :lol:
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:05 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Ooh how posh a carpeted garage! :lol:

The man was off that day - I had to take the damn photo myself!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:21 pm

vincereynard wrote:Mine came from here - http://carcovers.eu/specials___projects.htm

99999.JPG

It has a soft fleecy inner lining.

There is a number on it somewhere if you are interested.

If you do have the number, it would be useful
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Rich135 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm

My +2 fits very nicely in a Small size Tybond car cover. ?35 on Amazon - bargain!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpoint-17232 ... B000WNCY8Q

It's lasted very well, a good 5+ years old and used inside during my ownership. Quite soft inside but I wouldn't call it exactly "fleece lined", but no chance of it scratching as long as the car is clean.

Cheers

Rich
Rich135
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: grassyknoll » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:07 pm

nmauduit wrote:I would not put something on the paint for the first few months, rather dust it off carefully if it really needs it for a special occasion before the paint had hardened to the core. Building a wood frame to cover it like a tent (light paint tarp keeping the wind off), but not touching, if you're really for covering it maybe ?

Paint is soft for weeks, build a tent, I have used decorators sheeting to tent a garage, you will be amazed at how the room will smell of paint quickly
grassyknoll
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:55 pm

grassyknoll wrote:
nmauduit wrote:I would not put something on the paint for the first few months, rather dust it off carefully if it really needs it for a special occasion before the paint had hardened to the core. Building a wood frame to cover it like a tent (light paint tarp keeping the wind off), but not touching, if you're really for covering it maybe ?

Paint is soft for weeks, build a tent, I have used decorators sheeting to tent a garage, you will be amazed at how the room will smell of paint quickly

I did speak to the sprayers a few weeks ago about working on the car when I got it back, ie soft paint and leaning on it. They said once it comes out of the low temp oven it will be as hard as it will ever get. I will certainly speak to them again about covering it, I do take the point.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:42 pm

This is my choice.

unadjustednonraw_thumb_45a9.jpg and
wife mini in garage

https://www.carcoon.com

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Have only once used a cover - a small period of damp in the garage and started getting micro blistering.

Never used a cover since. Never had micro blistering since.

Let the car get dusty - you can always wash it.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote:Have only once used a cover - a small period of damp in the garage and started getting micro blistering.

Never used a cover since. Never had micro blistering since.

Let the car get dusty - you can always wash it.

Regards
Richard

It?s a question of evils, the car will be a bare (painted shell) on chassis whilst I rebuild it, so initially no glass, bonnet etc. This makes washing it not particularly practical. Leaving dust on a car and brushing against it risks putting micro scratches in the paint as modern water based paints are pretty soft.
I appreciate the other comments warning about covers on fresh paint, although I don?t see why it would micro blister, the car was expoxy primed prior to primer/colour/lacquer so don?t see why blisters would form.
I liked the tent thing above, but they seemed pretty pricey at around ?500.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 pm

And if all else fails, the Plus 2 is almost exactly same dimensions as a BMW Z4 so get something to fit that and you should be all set once the paint hardens.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 am

NYK wrote:If you do have the number, it would be useful

For what it is worth here is the tag on the storage bag.

s3650001.jpg and

It came with the car so I don't know its cost but the PO indicated
something like ?200??? Not cheap!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: