Lotus Elan

Retrofitting my plus 2 S130

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Hello all (I am sorry to post so many topics), I am going to make my plus 2 S 130 body shell look that that of the earlier cars (as I prefer them). I would therefore like to know if you can get an under bumper section to remove the fitting for the spot lights. My next question is, does anyone have a pair of carello break lights? I would really like a pair so if anyone wants to sell some, let me know.
I am very sorry for posting so much but I am new to the plus 2 world and want as much help as possible.
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans
1965 Elan S2 (Early 26R replica)
1972 Elan Plus 2 S130 (Next project, awaiting full restoration)
Elan S2 (everything but ID and engine)

1980 Lombardini/Westwood
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Elan Peter wrote:(I am sorry to post so many topics)

Watch out, some curmudgeonly fellow will post a thinly veiled rant at you and sign off with a "I'm never coming here again" type message - good riddance. :lol:

Yes, it happened to me. My excuse was enthusiasm for the car and I did not and will not make any apology for that. You keep posting mate.
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Jon B, if only they were all like you. I do my best to get as much out of the site as possible, hence why I have post about 10 post over the past 5 days :lol:
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans

1980 Lombardini/Westwood
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:59 pm

JonB wrote:
Elan Peter wrote:(I am sorry to post so many topics)

Watch out, some curmudgeonly fellow will post a thinly veiled rant at you and sign off with a "I'm never coming here again" type message - good riddance. :lol:

Yes, it happened to me. My excuse was enthusiasm for the car and I did not and will not make any apology for that. You keep posting mate.

You little Rebel you! :)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Elan Peter wrote:My next question is, does anyone have a pair of carello break lights?

Reproduction tail lamp lenses for early Giulia are available but the complete lamp assembly might be more difficult. I was just looking at photos of the Carrello lenses and they appear to have a bit less curvature on the outboard face than do the Lucas units. If Lotus changed the body shell with adoption of the Lucas lamps then the Carrellos might not fit very well.

Ron Hickman's original concept was to use round tail lamps on the +2. He abandoned that idea when he realized he might be accused of copying Ferrari. He told me he followed a Giulia into a roundabout on his way to work one morning and the proverbial light went on. I don't know how many Lotus made with the Carrello lamps, I think very few.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan Peter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 pm

A friend actually found these, https://classicalfa.com/lt068-1-complet ... N6xs2YHoVc
When you realise that the price is just for one, it is daunting :shock:
Best regards, P
Peter James Evans

1980 Lombardini/Westwood
Elan Peter
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: