What constitutes +2 / type 50 discussion here

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:38 pm

I often wonder, as for years I only read +2 forum. Unless it was engine, suspension, brake, wiring, fuel etc related.

To me, the only ?major? (yes, rear hubs are different. As is the frame and a few other bits)
difference is the body.
Correct me if I am wrong here please.

The question I have, is where to post specific +2 questions. As I suspect many whom have no interest in +2 anything, will never read a post which has +2 in the description. They probably dont click on the +2 ever.
Further, folk whom ask +2 questions in the baby section. Do not get a fair crack at readership, or discussion I suspect.

Again, where to post +2 / type 50 specific questions is my question.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:51 pm

I find your post a bit puzzling. I log on every day, read the posts which interest me even though I am also (very) Plus 2 biased and then I move on.

There is a Plus 2 "area" so...?

Unless you want to have the site run along the same lines as the M100 site with various (too many in my opinion) trees, branches and twigs?

The only thing that bothers me, and it bothers only the tiniest bit, is when people post a car for sale here and do so without INITIALLY indicating what part of the world they are in. For me that should be the FIRST thing in the post

Delta BC Canada (near Vancouver) For Sale 1991 Lotus Elan M100 with the V5 chip etc etc.

Sorry wandered off there... :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:04 pm

When I come on the site it's always by clicking on the active topics option. That lumps all the sub forums into one list and I read what topics interest me - and that does include +2 stuff. I've been doing this for so long now I'd actually forgotten there are individual sections.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 pm

My shortcut takes me straight to 'new posts' so I get everything that has been put on since my last visit regardless of subject. I then open each post, but I may not read it.
Eric in Burley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 pm

But new posts hasn't worked for over a week.... all I get is a list of the forums in which a new post has been made...
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:16 pm

I use the RSS feed so I see the title of every new post. It's basically like reading the digest, only more timely. btw I read my feeds in Feedly.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:43 pm

Laikka - i use new posts and its still working fine for me.

For the OP, I also don?t drill down into specific subject areas. If the title of the post that shows up in New Posts, looks interesting, then I read it.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi laika,
It works for me, except for a couple of crashes this week which were only temporary. It is the only way I enter this site.
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:02 pm

I asked a question a few weeks ago. +2 specific. To do with body. Not glass fibering. But the +2?s body.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45895

It was moved to the elan section. Under body.
I changed the title to +2 body modification or bumper elimination. Again, it has nothing to do with the baby.

i understand most of us jump to the active posts. I do to. And when I want information on brakes...fuel...suspension...etc... i go to that forum. In this case. If I or someone was searching +2 information. And it was in the baby section. It would not be found.
Many folk post general questions under elan general discussions. And information when one is searching is a bit tough to find. Of course google etc sort of work, though not an ideal situation (most websites have more sticky and wiki)

I would like to know what discussions fall under +2. If the body doesn?t count. And probably as a general rule, when discussing brakes etc. Should it fall under elan stuff, or only +2. I would guess there are far fewer +2 on the road. Therefore the space provided under the +2 section for all +2 related stuff to be enough and fine.

Not trying to ruffle feathers. Merely to understand etiquette and maybe to title things differently. Then again. Maybe i am out to lunch and the only people who will ever read this forum are the immediate regulars.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:28 am

h20hamelan wrote:I asked a question a few weeks ago. +2 specific. To do with body. Not glass fibering. But the +2?s body.

I changed the title to +2 body modification or bumper elimination. Again, it has nothing to do with the baby.

Not trying to ruffle feathers. Merely to understand etiquette and maybe to title things differently. Then again. Maybe i am out to lunch and the only people who will ever read this forum are the immediate regulars.

It was moved?

How and by whom?

PS, I doubt that any feathers are ruffled here, your initial question was germane (if somewhat puzzling to me).
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:20 am

69S4 wrote:When I come on the site it's always by clicking on the active topics option. That lumps all the sub forums into one list and I read what topics interest me - and that does include +2 stuff. I've been doing this for so long now I'd actually forgotten there are individual sections.

I doubt most use the intended forum
I am the same. Merely look at active. Or google something. Which is sort of my point. It?s a bit of a crap shoot.

A few times over the years. I have posted a specific question, out side of a particular issue. I have been instructed to keep within the same thread. Which is fine, if the intended dialogue pertained to the specific topic. Hence the problem as i see it.

My short answer is a sticky or wiki.

I actually dont care too much if a +2 discussion gets buried in baby stuff. The intention of the internet is open source. Not, someone?s direction. For this forum to be open, as i see it. It needs particular criteria for specific things. Whatever that may be.
Again, if particular subjects were in particular forums. Some get stuck, or wiki?d. People could actually have a source of reference and not feel like asking is a burden, or that a daft question they should not ask. Maybe its not daft. We have some highly intellighten people (count me out of that, though everyone is good at certain things) and the world has evolved since the beginning of the internet in the 1950?s. And even this forums newer face of the last 8 years. (Btw, Ive been reading this forum since about 2003) is more modern. Maybe it would be more simple some other way, or simply with some sticky or wiki improvements. Don?t know. But that?s the beauty of being human and having the ability to debate, and communicate (which arguably is more about listening).

Have some fun, and enjoy yourself.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:37 am

It was moved?

How and by whom?

PS, I doubt that any feathers are ruffled here, your initial question was germane (if somewhat puzzling to me).[/quote]

Yes, it was moved.

By a ?moderator? in control of a mouse or rodent type device.

P.S. it simply takes too long to find a relevant tidbit/snippet. Sticky or wiki it please!

Pps. I wish i had listened to my father. ?Don?t have kids, Don't get married. Don't work for yourself?. As then or now, I might have/or have had time to offer to this fantastic forum

Ppps Moderators, don?t hate me please
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:17 am

Slowtus wrote:
h20hamelan wrote:I asked a question a few weeks ago. +2 specific. To do with body. Not glass fibering. But the +2?s body.

It was moved?

How and by whom?

PS, I doubt that any feathers are ruffled here, your initial question was germane (if somewhat puzzling to me).

Ppp and maybe another Ps I dont care so much for double quotes. As we all just read this twice eh. Why the last post did not include the first quoted material. Sort of the old problem with the original lotuselan.net. Too many rambling quotes and edits that take up white space.
Keep it simple
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Sorry for length. Bit of background to help answer OP...

Jeff (our forum owner/moderator) reviewed and restructured the forum a few years ago. The two major issues I recall were enhancing the For Sale section so stuff found elsewhere on the internet would not swamp the items offered by forum members, and providing a Mods section to separate out clearly non-stock topics. He solicited comment on the forum structure and this resulted in a separate Plus 2 section and the addition of the technical sections. Different sections for various Elan models/series were considered but thankfully not done, as this can result in the ‘trees and twigs’ issue mentioned above (really like that description :D ).

IIRC the idea was that the technical sections (Repair, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting) would be used for all models. The idea is the similarity between models is greater than the differences, particularly when techniques are being discussed. The General Discussion section would be for more chat style topics.

Obviously the whole splitting up of topics is more art than science, and will never be 100% definitive. The idea was folks could help by highlighting in their new topic titles what model they were working on, or add the model, build year, etc. in their signature data. So, for example, the Plus 2 window lift wiring is totally different than an Elan, but it is still electrical and still window lifts. There are lots of historical threads that can be a bit confusing until it is clear which system is being discussed, but at least they are all archived under electrical.

When Jeff created the new sections and structure he went thru the existing historical posts and split them all up. Took several months. Big job. I have also noticed he periodically moves posts/threads to sections, often from the Plus 2 discussion section to the appropriate technical section.

So, my long-winded answer is to try and use the Plus 2 section for more general topics, and use the technical sections for all models, with your specific car identification in the title. Wouldn’t get too fussed about the Discussion sub-sections, but try to put the more technical stuff under the relatively broad technical topics provided. General guideline might be if you are trying to fix your ride, it probably belongs in a technical section.

Jeff was working on developing a Wiki section as well. Some progress on this if you dig into the forum a bit. Part of the benefit of using the technical sections is creating/populating a Wiki would be easier.

Writing this out just reminded me I have not made my annual donation to the forum. Jeff doesn’t make a big deal of asking for financial help, but usually one of us posts a thread this time of year to remind folks that this is a marvellous resource, and well worth our support. Consider pressing the donate button and providing a few bucks to keep the forum going.

HTH. Happy New Year to all.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:23 am

Thank you Stu, Jeff. And all who contribute
Earlier this year, i threw some funds towards lotuselan.net. And will continue to do so in the future

Not so sure that +2 body stuff falls under elan. If I don’t succeed the first time. I will try again.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: