How many wires on a plus 2 dashboard?

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:33 pm

Hi There

Does anyone know how many separate wires run from a +2 and +2s dashboard? I want to put an automotive connector on so that I can wire the dashboard up on the kitchen table and just plug it into the car. I have a +2 and +2s to do hence the question about both varieties.....

I am sure I am not the first to have asked this bit could not find the answer........

Many thanks in advance.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:19 am

As supplied.JPG and
This is a Plus 2S, I don't think you will manage a single connector as it is very very tight behind the dash and bringing everything into one bundle would not fit.

I had to unpick everything on this loom, split it into separate runs, and and then fit flag connectors to make it fit and even then it was tight.

I have a complete plus 2 dash with wiring intact in my garage lfot - will dig it out and take some pics but they are a lot simpler
Attachments
that's better.JPG and
Oh dear.JPG and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:22 pm

Basically the same deal as Jono on the dash connectors. I think I used five or six separate block connectors when all was said and done. I also found the biggest issue is making sure the block connectors are staggered so they can be crammed in to the limited space down the sides of the dash area.

I made two separate runs on each side of the dash to the front. The rear run could perhaps be one run, although I ended up with a couple of connectors.

Note you end up with a lot more wires coming off the dash assembly if you use relays for any of the switches. To avoid this issue I mounted the relays and fuse boxes on the back of the glove box. My car started as a Federal model with only one fuse box.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:29 am

I can't answer with an exact number, but when I did something similar a few years ago I used two 15-pin Molex plugs. One was full and the other had a few empty pins left.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:11 am

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the information! I think multiple plugs for sure, especially for the "S".

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:19 pm

Along with the number of pins needed, be sure to use connectors with pins rated to handle the current that some of the circuits will draw.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:47 pm

Hi Bud

Good point but I shall be using relays where sensible. One circuit will be drawing 67Amps so that will definitely need one!

All the best

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: