Do rotoflex couplings deteriorate in storage

PostPost by: pimkeirle » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:04 pm

I have a pair of "new old stock" rotoflex couplings in a box in my garage, they've been there at least 5 years, but they look OK to my un-tutored eye. Has anyone any experience of using old (but still with the original metal band and unused) couplings? The couplings on my Plus 2 have been on there for 8 years now and the rubber in them is definitely showing signs of perishing, hence my intention to replace them, but new ones are c.£120 each, so if my stored ones are OK it's obviously tempting to use them.
pimkeirle
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:26 pm

I've asked this previously and gotten no reply. Also recently about the oil filters (paper element, rubber gasket). An additional problem is the "new" ones, not being dated; may be years old themselves. Tires are 8-10, I have been offered eight year old tires as new.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:14 pm

They should be usable as long as they have not been exposed to UV or ozone for long periods (higher voltage electrical equipment with corona discharge).

How do your old ones look? If they are not fractured when you rotate them at full droop, they should be ok. Do check the bolts are still tight. Loose bolts will fail from fatigue and then the donut fails.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:48 am

I have seen rotoflex fall apart in storage
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:37 am

Rubber does deteriorate with age:

https://www.walker-rubber.co.uk/knowledge-hub/the-ageing-of-rubber-366

Modern rubber seems worse. I don't know the cause - perhaps the additives used these days are limited because of 'elf and safety.

I have a low mileage mini with tyres that received an advisory on its MOT test for cracking on tyre sidewalls - the tyres are less than 8 years old. I have a tyre in the garage that is a spare for my Standard that is at least 50 years old that looks as good as new.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:26 pm

If you have 8 year old ones that are perishing surely the 5 year old unused ones are good for at least 3 years!

I would fit them and inspect annually.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:46 am

I would also fit them but inspect them on a regular basis - 1st or 2nd run, couple of weeks, monthly ? Nothing after a couple of months and I'd expect them to last as long as any ever did.

The link posted is a good description of how rubber deteriorates and you can see that the big problems are sunlight and temperature. Inside a box in your garage will avoid sunlight and most probably temperatures high enough to cause deterioration. The failure mechanism will be from the surface inwards, so if they look ok, they are worth trying.

If there is any damage it's likely to be obvious with surface cracking after fitting/being driven so regular inspection will pick that up long before it gets to a critical stage where the bulk of the rubber is failing.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: