Where is best place to sell plus2 zetec conversion by Spyder

PostPost by: philipe » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:48 pm

Thinking of selling my 1967 zetec spyder conversion Elan plus 2 in French Blue. No idea where to advertise for best results. any suggestions please.
philipe
New-tral

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:22 pm

Hi There

There is a similar post running at the moment funnily enough. I would advertise on here of course, Lotus News perhaps, Ebay has a wide audience, Classic Car auctions have moved a fair few Zetec Plus 2's, and facebook marketplace also reaches a fair audience, but be prepared for some time wasters. Ditto on Ebay also.

From what I can see prices generally have softened a fair bit in the last few months, so be prepared to wait for the right buyer if achieving the best possible price is high on your list of priorities.

Looking forwards to hearing more about the car!

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:36 pm

If you don’t mind it possibly going to US, you can use https://bringatrailer.com/
It’s very common for cars to be from outside US, and buyer is responsible for shipping.
https://bringatrailer.com/lotus/elan/ Here is past sales. One sold recently for $40K.
Good luck, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bobchaplin » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:54 pm

Hope you have better luck than I have,

Put mine on here, Club Lotus, Facebook classic cars, etc

Diddly squat, lots of replies stating exceptional car, superb resto, one guy turned up to look he was a complete !!!!head. It seems everyone wants a standard car, no mod's, just as Lotus made it, faults and all.

With a Spyder chassis, which I think are the best, following my experience you will get nothing.

I am seriously considering breaking mine for parts, as to try and sell it as a car it seems unsellable, as nobody wants it. Whether its the econonic situation who knows.

Sorry to be so pessimistic Bob
bobchaplin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:45 pm

Hi

That does sound pessimistic indeed. My cars are going to struggle if that is the case seeing as originality has never really mattered much to me. Usability is number one, although I do like them to look standard, so no obvious body modifications, and close to standard wheel sizes and offsets etc.

I know quite a few plus 2 owners and some are really anal about originality though. It can be a bit of an illness in my opinion, but that could be said of any obsession.

Best of luck

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: philipe » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:55 pm

Shame to hear it's so hard to sell a Zetec conversion as I really thought it was a great compromise - looks like the classic plus 2 but reliable, faster, handles really well and easy to maintain. Given that people pay Spyder around £50k for a new conversion I expected to easily sell a good second hand one for around £15-20k. If worth less than that I'll just keep it. But since hardly used these days I will advertise and see what happens. Thanks for the reality check
philipe
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:49 pm

Try the "for sale section"
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:47 am

Quite a few Elans have been sold on Car & Classic auctions online.

Here's the list with results https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/ ... ountry=all

Although there are no Spyder Zetec cars in the results, quite a few appear to have Spyder chassis and other variations. Buyers like Car & Classic as there's no buyer's premium, it appears to be a very successful way to sell a classic car these days.

I have two cars that are Spyder modified and I know at least two people building Spyder Zetecs, although popularity for the conversion has tailed off in recent years there is still a demand out there especially if someone wanting to scratch that particular itch can buy a used example for a lot less than the build cost.

good luck
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:51 am

Edit,
Here's a Spyder converted car that sold on Car & Classic https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/ ... s-2-nRG2M4
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rrmave » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:10 am

Hi Philippe,

Has the car been advertised?
Rrmave
New-tral

Total Online: