Car Covers

PostPost by: Andrew G » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:58 pm

Hi
I can see old posts on car covers - ie use them at your peril - but have there been improvements in recent years? Would appreciate any comments as I am about to lose my garage...

thanks
Andrew
(UK)
Andrew G
New-tral

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:05 pm

If you're going to be parking off-street, how about those temporary "structures"? Allows air flow and would prevent condensation and rubbing (the two problems with fabric covers that lay on the car itself).

Welcome to the forum, Andrew :D
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:19 pm

I bought an all seasons one from a reputable supplier and it was rubbish. Flapped a lot in winter winds, degraded severely from the UV, and the paint blistered. Lasted 12 months and binned it. Built myself an additional garage. Probably ok temporary but don't think it's a long term solution.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andrew G » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:40 pm

Thanks both - much appreciated! It's a First World problem, I realise. I had thought about one of those armadillo/snailshell/pram covers on a frame - perhaps if it were heavy duty it might give better winter protection?

Mine is an older, '68 model, if that makes any difference

Thanks again

Andrew
Andrew G
New-tral

PostPost by: ajwheels » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:56 pm

If it helps, I have my car in a driveway, off-street, and use a California Car Cover, Superweave, in grey, sewn specifically for the Elan......it is an outdoor cover, not water "proof" but "resistant".....and it is holding up well and I am happy with the results. I suspect the weather where one resides matters, but for me, in Southern California, it's mostly about the sun and dust and such....being near the coast, I get the overnight moisture, which dries quickly in the mornings. Having just been through a recent Tropical Storm, the cover was secured with a cord side-to-side and remained in place with 40 mph wind gusts....cover is machine washable, which I have done twice in the 2-plus years I have had it, and the material and stitching is holding up fine.....there is a 4 year guarantee, so we'll see......previous covers I have had, on the Lotus as well as my other cars, have lasted about a year or so before the material starts to break down and the seams start to separate, so I am happy with this one.....
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andrew G » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:06 pm

Thank you!

Britain does not have sunshine but! it is very good at dust and moisture - and wind. I will look for something along the "temporary" lines that is sufficiently sturdy

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew G
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:20 am

Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andrew G » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:47 am

Thanks for the link!
Andrew G
New-tral

PostPost by: davidj » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:04 am

A friend used a carcoon to store his Lancia Delta Integrale over winter. Unfortunately the following spring his lovely paint job was no more with lots of pitting, particularly on the roof. :( It was sold immediately (the carcoon, not delta) on ebay and he built a carport.
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:14 pm

I have had two outdoor Carcoons and stored cars in them over winter, they work fine and my chrome and paintwork had no problems.
There are some disadvantages to using a carcoon and they are not cheap.
It’s a faf about to put the car in and out so not quick access so it really is a “storage” system and not a substitute for a garage.
Snow will collapse the carcoon which you can brush off but best not to leave it in contact with the car body.
The carcoon rocks badly in high winds although it never damaged it.
In my experience they only last about three years and then the stitching starts to rot.
The ideal place for one would be in sheltered place like under a carport .
Attachments
cc.jpg and
cc snow.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:06 pm

I have used covers for years and learnt from my first experience 20 years ago never to use on a fibreglass car, they destroy paint by trapping moisture.

2 years ago I read great things about a tailored outdoor car cover for my esprit.

A premium product for a premium price. After 4 weeks I developed blisters on the rear deck and by 3 months I needed 2.5k of paint correction.

Do not use a cover outdoors on a lotus, should have listened to my own advice.
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andrew G » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:21 pm

Sound advice
Andrew G
New-tral

PostPost by: persimmon » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:08 am

I`m in the same position - garage full already . Are we saying it would be better to just leave it outside uncovered ? Does the moisture that leads to microblistering penetrate from the outside ( through the paint ) , or from the inside ? Is this problem particular to the Elan + 2 ( All the TVRs I`ve seen have superb paintwork ) ?
As you can tell , I`m not a paintwork expert .
persimmon
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:44 pm

Perisimmon,
I have a TVR 3000M and when i bought it there were pimples everywhere. It's a problem with all grp cars.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: