Plus 2 front sidelights on when door opens

PostPost by: Mike2drummond » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:44 pm

I recently had some electrical problems after going through some heavy rain. Prior to that though I was getting flickering power at night with headlights on. Eg rev counter bounces, headlights flicker, dash lights flicker etc.

I am trying to trace the issue and clean up contacts etc but one strange thing I have noticed which may be new or not is that the front sidelights come on with the door opened. Is this normal? The rears don’t come on which makes me think it is just a fault.

Incidentally does anyone know where to get new sidelight rubbers as mine are badly perished. The chrome fitting was also fitted with sealant. Is there a seal for this?

Thanks in advance

Mike
Mike2drummond
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:13 pm

Bad earth is the problem.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ianstuart » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:41 am

I had a similar problem with my Plus 2 - headlights cut out when using the indicators, sidelights came on when operating the starter etc.
As Alan says, it’s an earth fault.
In my case the earth wires were loose at the point in the engine bay where they attach to the chassis through the body into the left front suspension turret.
Easy fix.
Ianstuart
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gus » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:55 am

door lights operate when ground from door switch is provided. End bracket is grounded. Also panel/int switch. Sidelights operate through relay behind dash so ground may be common. several common grounds at bottom of dash to chassis mountings.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mike2drummond » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:26 pm

Thanks. I think the issue with the sidelights is likely to be an earth problemvv and I will go round measure the resistance at all the earth points that I can find.

I am not so sure about earthing causing the headlight flickering while I am driving but I will look into it. Something is loose somewhere.

I am just going to make new seals for the sidelights for both the overall holder and the glass lens. It does appear that it was just fixed with sealant.

I’m away for 3 weeks from last Wednesday ( I forgot to post this!! ) so I guess the car can go into winter hibernation and I will investigate it when I get back.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Mike2drummond
New-tral

PostPost by: gus » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:07 am

AS I recall, the headlight on switch provides ground to both headlight relays. The main beam stalk chooses which relay is active. Point being that a dodgy ground at the headlight switch[which could be the same ground as the door light] might make the headlights blink
Or they could just be stuttering like all of them
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: