PostPost by: Johnny America » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:06 am

Hi everyone, new member to the forum having just purchased a 1969 Elan +2 for restoration. Looking to start my restoration next year once my current projects are finished. I’m a great believer in shared experiences and information via forums so will probably be posting lots of questions looking for guidance and advice etc.

My first question, what books/manuals would member’s recommend as good reference material for my project.

Look forward to any advice.

Finally a photo of the car
image0.jpeg and
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
1979 Lancia V6 Group B Rally Car
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:53 am

Welcome Johnny!

The original model-specific Lotus Work Shop Manual is a must-have, and the Parts Manual is a great resource for seeing what things should look like and how they go together. The online version of the Parts Manual at rdent.com will do if you have trouble getting a paper one. Beyond that, opinions differ about aftermarket shop manuals and such, but this forum is one of the very best resources for all sorts of wisdom for dealing with these cars.

Can't wait to see your progress!
Last edited by The Veg on Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:12 am

Hello Johnny
Welcome to the forum.
I am just up the road in Oxford. There are several Plus 2 owners locally. I am sure they will be along soon to say hello and offer help.
I saw it on the auction site. Does it run?
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:10 am

Hi Both, thanks for the replies, ok I will search out the work shop manual. Is there a specific one for the +2 or is it covered in the Elan manual. Also assume the manuals are year/series specific eg S1, S2.

In answer to the run question. A quick play yesterday, good oil pressure, after cleaning the points I have a good spark. she is trying to run just needs some fresh fuel I think(hope).
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:05 am

The one you want is specific to a +2, is loose leaf, and has a white pvc cover
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296097547965 ... R-a0s4WLYw
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:16 am

elans3 wrote:The one you want is specific to a +2, is loose leaf, and has a white pvc cover
<a class="vglnk" href="https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296097547965?

@elans3 thank you. Just checking the description of the item it says October 1972. My model is a S2 1969 is this still the correct manual. Thank you, sorry if this is an obvious answer.

J
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:26 pm

I think that's just when it was printed, so should include all models at least up to that date.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:46 pm

@ elans3, perfect thank you. Purchased. :D
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:46 pm

IMG_8724.jpeg and

Printed off the parts list from this forum and made myself a folder. Workshop Manual arrived today, so all good to go.

Thanks
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:58 pm

So a quick update on my ‘barn find’ car purchased at auction last week.

Lotus have verified the car and a certificate of authenticity is on its way. Engine number matches so original.

Having check fluids etc, added a battery and fresh fuel and cleaning up the points she runs :D good oil pressure and sounds sweet. The clutch was frozen on ( suspect due to being stored) managed to free this off so she now drives (although the clutch does feel heavy to me) more instigation needed.

As well as an ally rad and electric fan it looks like uprated coil over shocks all round see photo.
image4.jpeg and

image2.jpeg and

Drive shafts have also been replaced with twin UJ type.

To the chassis, so far all good, I can see that it’s been galvanised so clearly replaced at some point. There is no drain hole in the vacuum tank so am I correct in assuming it’s not a Spyder chassis??? Any help on how I identify the chassis would be appreciated. Photo of under the car looking up at one of the ‘Y’ arms alongside the gearbox.
image0.jpeg and

Any general comments also welcome. Thank you.
Last edited by Johnny America on Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:24 pm

Hi

I'm really pleased the car is basically in sound condition, and that the engine is correct and runs well

Having had a look at the chassis myself at the auction, I am pretty sure (99%) it is a Lotus item. I reserve the right to be wrong though.

When I tried it I also noticed that the clutch pedal was a lot stiffer than I would have expected. I cannot remember about the brakes. I think the pedal may have been quite hard, but I could be thinking about the clutch. Neither of the master cylinder caps would come off with just my hands, so I cannot comment on the state of the fluid. You will know more by now.

Glad that you are having fun with he car. I will be playing with mine tomorrow. Just in the process of modifying the exhaust manifold so it works with a Zetec engine. One of MANY tasks.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:02 pm

I had the same problem with the clutch on my Plus 2. Turned out to be the rubber flexible section of clutch pipe which was restricting the flow of fluid. Swapped the lot (bundy and flexi pipes) for a single braided line and all sorted. Clutch was also very "bitey", difficult to feather when pulling away. Solved by fitting a new friction plate.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: