aspiring +2 caretaker

PostPost by: one60 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:23 am

Greetings,

I've joined the forum in anticipation of acquiring an Elan +2 in the future. Before I make the commitment, I hope to learn about the model by learning from the enthusiasts here.

I've found a Facebook group but if there are other resources I should be aware of please enlighten me!
one60
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Hi and welcome.
Can I suggest you give us a name. it makes it seem more friendly.
You will find most of the things you need on this forum, but if you are not in a club then I suggest you join one.
Club Lotus is the obvious one but there are others. I have had a lot of help from the local Club Lotus branch and have even been able to make a contribution occasionally. Some of those guys have been running Elans for 40 years and are an incredible resource.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:52 pm

This Forum is the best resource for info on the Elan and Plus 2. It is freindly and very co-operative with egos to get in the way! You can find info on everything regarding the cars! Welcome.
If you want some thing in print then my book Lotus Elan and Plus 2 source book by Mathew Vale and published by Veloce gives (imho) a good guide to the practicalities of owning and running the cars - all based on hard earned experiences. There is also a Veloce Buyers guide for the Elan and Plus 2. Both are available on Amazon or all good bookshops.
Where in London are you? I'm 50 minutes from Waterloo if you want to see a couple of Plus 2s for research?
Regards
Matt
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:38 am

Welcome One60!

This is definitely the best place to learn about these cars. Let us know how the search goes and post pics when you buy one!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: one60 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:22 am

Thanks everyone for sharing your enthusiasm and encouragement.

Grant aka one60
one60
New-tral

PostPost by: TonyA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:45 pm

I am in NW London; If convenient for you , send me a PM and you are welcome to see my plus 2 and talk about the joys ( and agonies) of ownership..Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:06 am

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: one60 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:17 pm

h20hamelan wrote:https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/1968-lotus-elan-22-4X27xg

no affiliation & etc

nice one!!!

Interesting find. I wish there were better side photos of the panel gaps.

Is the damage to the sill shown in photo 96 of concern? Is this a common issue?
one60
New-tral

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:51 pm

Hi Grant

The outer sills on the Plus 2 are simply thinish glass fibre covers which enclose a longitudinal steel member which bolts through the inner sill via three steel plates fitted to the inside of the inner sill. The steel member provides stiffness to the outside edge of the body shell, the outer seat belt anchorage points, jacking points front and rear and a degree of side impact protection. Original sills will be rusted away by now; Spyder provide replacement tubular items which are robust, zinc plated and heavy, other suppliers provide pressed stainless steel box section units. The damage to the sill in the picture is just cosmetic and will be not very obvious to a passer by. But it is important to check if the interior sills have been replaced on any car you view!
HTHs Matt
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: one60 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:07 pm

Thanks for the helpful description regarding the sills and their attachment. I've read a number of posts and viewed photos regarding sill corrosion and replacement. Much to learn!
one60
New-tral

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:09 pm

[quote="one60"] I wish there were better side photos of the panel gaps. /quote]

Don't expect to find modern car small or even consistant side to side panel gaps on any +2!
The panel gaps on these individually hand built and assembled fibreglass cars was never that good even when they were new 50+years ago.

Good luck with the search :D

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: one60 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:25 am

Since joining, I've had feedback from a number of members as well as the pleasure of meeting with two forum members and +2 owners and viewing 3 different cars! Thanks for the generosity of your time, insights and coffee!

-Grant
one60
New-tral

Total Online: