Child seats

PostPost by: mr b » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:51 pm

Does anyone know if any specific child seat will fit in the rear seats - I’ve heard both yes and no responses on Facebook. I’m looking to buy a +2 but only if I can occasionally take my children out - they’re only 4 & 2 so too small to not have a seat.
Thanks.
Andy
mr b
New-tral

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:06 pm

Andy
I have not had experience of child seats in an Elan but had issues getting the correct fit with other sport seats such as in my Alfa Romeos. (This was 10+ years ago)
The main issue with modern inertia reel belts is the cars seat belt buckle must not be in contact with the child seat which can cause “buckle Crush” In an accident the seat can exert point contact on the seat buckle and crack the plastic cover exposing the internal mechanism and the possibility of locking mechanism releasing or failing. On wide seats the buckle can be some distance away but on narrow sports seats they are much closer. If the buckle is on webbing that allows adjustment you might get away with it. (Unlike modern cars where the buckle position is usually non adjustable). Front seats tend to be less problematic than rear ones.
I tried several different seats before I found the only one that fitted the Alfa properly which was a Britax.
I did think about how the static belt on my Elan Sprint would perform with a child seat (It’s a three point belt which is essential). The buckle could be positioned in the middle so it would not contact the seat and rest across the child’s lap similar to an adults. But that means its easy for the child to play with it and potentially undo it. Also child seats are designed for and tested with inertia reel belts so using a static belt would be something of an unknown.
In the end I just waited a few years until my son was big enough to not use a child seat. They grow up quickly.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mr b » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sadly it might mean I have to look at an Evora instead!
mr b
New-tral

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:10 pm

Mr B

Some good additional information about your question (along with a little humour) in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7459

On our side of the pond, where so-called “Federal” style front seats (non-reclining seat backs with integrated headrests) dominate, it can be very difficult to access the rear seat area because the headrest hits the roof when the seat is folded forward. Many folks have replaced the early style front seats with various aftermarket or period seats from other vehicles that allow the seat back to fold forward rather than lifting the entire seat for access. Not sure how the later Plus 2 seats provide access, but something to consider.

Interesting question. Good luck in your search.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:49 pm

I purchased our +2 when the 3ed was born. The older kids still rode along in the rear, we had the front facing car seat in the passenger seat.

UK "Children must normally use a child car seat until they're 12 years old or 135 centimetres tall"

The booster-seat may not fit between the seat bolsters in the front seat. We used some thick foam to raise the bottom. The seat-boosters are I believe for one of 2 things. Front air-bags. if your under height it can break you neck. Weight, under 70lbs but I dont think this is as important.
How tight the seat belt grabs the occupant, and why a thick dense foam booster might be a better option for the front of the +2 as the rears are likely a good snug fit without a booster-seat. Remember, the height of the rear seats to the roof is also an issue.

For us, the problem was how the booster fit between the belts and seat-bolsters in the front. The rear was fine without any booster, but the front not so great as the hip bolsters of the seat raised the belt height, not enough tension on the occupant. The front seemed better with the thick dense foam, rather than a booster seat. All the booster-seats we tried didn't fit the space between the hip bolsters in the front.
Same for the baby eh!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mr b » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:41 pm

Thanks - but I need child seats in the back,
mr b
New-tral

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:18 pm

When my son was very small, for my Sprint I used something like this [url]
https://www.halfords.com/baby-and-child ... gJwWPD_BwE
[/url]

Not easy with a static belt but if you have a rear inertia belt it may be an option
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:59 am

richardcox_lotus wrote:When my son was very small, for my Sprint I used something like this [url]
https://www.halfords.com/baby-and-child ... gJwWPD_BwE
[/url]

I believe that would fit the +2. but the poster needs a group 1 seat. I doubt there is a group 1 seat that will fit. I will try remember to take more measurements, but rear of the seat is ~30 wide
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: