Need a key blank

PostPost by: Lotus49 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:06 pm

Hello All,

I have a single key for my 74 Elan Plus 2 and cannot find anywhere to buy a blank. My local key shop is of no help which is surprising.

The key is a Taylor D80 with a K underneath that if that matters. Google searching does not show up any obvious places to buy this key so I'm thinking there must be another equivalent.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Lotus49
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am

Shouldn't it be a Waso key like:
Waso_Key_Blanks.jpg and

These are the correct keys if you have a steering lock on the column

I have loads....
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Richardsona39 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:45 pm

Assuming you're talking about the ignition key, RD Enterprises in PA has them: www.rdent.com and do a search for "WS2" Key Blank

I got one from them recently and it works great in the slot. However, an issue (at least on my +2) is that the plastic on the key grip is large enough where it hits the dashboard that overhangs the ignition key slot and prevents actually starting the car. So I had to cut part of it away with a Dremel. (You can't just remove the plastic that's overmolded on the metal unfortunately).

RD also sells door keys if that's what you're looking for.
Richardsona39
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 am

Richardsona39 wrote:However, an issue (at least on my +2) is that the plastic on the key grip is large enough where it hits the dashboard that overhangs the ignition key slot and prevents actually starting the car. So I had to cut part of it away with a Dremel. (You can't just remove the plastic that's overmolded on the metal unfortunately).

Are you sure the lock is in the correct position? Are the indicator & light stalks at 9 O'clock & 3 O'Clock?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:54 pm

It could also be the mounting of the column being slightly low/forward, so the lock is not far enough through the trim.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: