S130 Failsafe Headlamps adjust

PostPost by: hastu » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:34 pm

There are many threads on the subject but nowhere is it described how and in which order the pods are screwed to the headlight actuator bar.
I have installed a new vacuum pod with new springs. As it is failsafe, the pods without vacuum must be at the top.
Currently the pods are not fully up without vacuum, when the motor is running and the vacuum comes on, they don't go all the way down either?
Do the pods have to be firmly screwed to the actuator bar, or which parts are fixed and which are not? Perhaps someone has the exact procedure.
Hanspeter
Elan +2 S130 1971 Pistachio Lime Green
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:26 pm

Is it not shown in the workshop manual?

[Edit: Yes it is: https://www.rdent.com/manuals/plus2/body/bn.htm]

Look carefully at the diagram, particularly at part 7, which is a sleeve that the spring end pivots on (instead of being pinched by the nut & bolt (8 and 9 respectively). Also, washers (part 11). If you assemble per this diagram, you should be able to get yours working.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:25 pm

The height and drop are set by the bolts threaded into bobbins in the body, with rubber bumpers fitted over the bolt head. In practice the one that hits first sets the height for both. The springs should be strong enough to force the pods up against the stops. IF you have not fitted the springs correctly it may not hold them up. If they are really mismatched perhaps set the one nearest the actuator while having the farther one loosened from the bar, then tighten the farther[RH] one after setting its stops
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hastu » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:26 am

Thank you very much for your input. I have now checked the assembly and it is as you suggested. The lamps are now moving correctly. Only the upper stop is a bit shaky, so that the headlights probably wobble a bit while driving on bumpy roads. More than the force of the two springs does not push the lights upwards. Is that normal?
Hanspeter
Elan +2 S130 1971 Pistachio Lime Green
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 am

Check all the pivots. The bolts wear the bobbins out or sometimes the bolts break
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:16 pm

Both up and down stops are adjustable. The rubber covers on the bolt heads wear over time, disintegrate, and may be missing. The bolts are poorly shown as item #30 in the parts list ( https://lotuselan.net/wiki/BN_-_Body_-_ ... acuum_%2B2 ) and the covers aren't shown at all.

After the pod travel is determined, adjust the stops to apply just enough pressure on the pods to prevent the movement you’re experiencing. Don’t make the stop pressure too much as it will eventually cause cracking of the fiberglass at the back of the pods.

I wanted to spread that load over a bigger area on my car. I made stop bolt pads that are about 7/8” in diameter and softer rubber.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: