+2 front suspension rebuilt

PostPost by: Johnny America » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:38 pm

Hi looking for the collective wisdom.

One of the inner front wishbone bushes is shot on my +2. I am already running TT adjustable shocks with new springs. Will be using the car predominantly on the road.

Q1. For replacement wishbone bushes should I use the Sue Miller poly bushes? Hoping these aren’t too hard for our UK roads?
Q2. Whilst doing the above seems sensible to replace top ball joint and trunnion bushes?
Q3. Any other parts that I should consider whilst the wishbones are removed?

Thank you in advance.
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
1979 Lancia V6 Group B Rally Car
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:39 pm

Hi
Not sure about wisdom but I'm glad to share some opinions based on long term ownership and a few rebuilds.
Q1 - I recently installed poly bushes throughout mostly because it seemed to be the thing to do. I cant say I've noticed much difference so no strong feelings either way. I think if I were doing it again I would go back to standard but I'm not losing sleep about it.
Q2 Yes it would seem sensible - I recently did just that. However as far as the top ball joint is concerned if your current ones are good I'd stick with them. I replaced mine with new items and in a thousand or two miles ( 6-9 months) the rubber seals had totally failed so I think good old ones may be better than new . It obviously makes sense to at least inspect the trunnions - not just the brass bit but check out the thread on the bottom of the upright for wear and corrosion - this can be a failure point . If it were me I think I would replace these. If you want to start a nice long thread going ask if you should use oil or grease in the trunnion :)
Q3 - The only thing I can think of is to check out the bushes and washers that connect the anti-roll-bar to the bottom of the shocks.
As I said just opinions and I guess you'll get more.
All the best
Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:07 pm

Baggy2 wrote:Hi
Q2 Yes it would seem sensible - I recently did just that. However as far as the top ball joint is concerned if your current ones are good I'd stick with them. I replaced mine with new items and in a thousand or two miles ( 6-9 months) the rubber seals had totally failed so I think good old ones may be better than new . It obviously makes sense to at least inspect the trunnions - not just the brass bit but check out the thread on the bottom of the upright for wear and corrosion - this can be a failure point . If it were me I think I would replace these. If you want to start a nice long thread going ask if you should use oil or grease in the trunnion :)
Q3 - The only thing I can think of is to check out the bushes and washers that connect the anti-roll-bar to the bottom of the shocks.
As I said just opinions and I guess you'll get more.
All the best
Baggy

Thank you very helpful.
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
1979 Lancia V6 Group B Rally Car
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:58 pm

I agree about the upper ball joints:Older quality is better than the new stuff: I found no discernable play, so changed the rubber boots and drilled/tapped the cap to fit a 1/4 unf grease nipple for annual greasing: Will last the life of the car I think..

Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:50 am

I found that the Plus 2 benefits in stability with poly bushes due to its longer suspension arms deflecting more under load with the standard rubber bushes. This effect is less in an Elan with its shorter arms

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: