Convertible/drop Head +2?

PostPost by: mgb2010 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:30 am

With summer now over my attentions are returning from racing back to completing the rebuild of the +2. The body work prep is essentially complete but I am still considering making it into a drop head. Has anyone got a good website or source of information for the process? I know others have asked this before with little response, any help/photos/refs would be greatly appreciated.
Christopher Neil are now unable to provide a kit of parts, but I could easily get a set fabricated if anyone has details.

MGB
mgb2010
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:18 am

Greetings, here's a link to a +2 page that may help. I've thought about doing the same thing. I would have to reinforce the floor somehow in a structural fashion. Especially if hauling four adults, the rear passengers oblivious to headroom problems. Is the body off the chassis? Good Luck, Eric

www.geocities.com/trevorsparrow/elanplus2/elanpages.htm
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:15 pm

I have a normal +2 and one converted by CN years ago, The convertable has a Spyder chassis and feels stiffer to drive than the normal one. I have no trouble with the doors etc. - when looking for a convertable I heard horror tales of doors misfitting and scuttle shake. The Spyder chassis has fixed these problems - even if it weights far more than a Lotus one! I would not take the top of a standard car.
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:48 am

Hello chdraper, when you say standard car, are you refering to one with the stock chassis? Is there any additional floor or strut strenghening in your drop head +2 or does just the Spyder chassis provide the strength? Thanks, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:31 pm

Yes - by standard car I mean the Lotus - in my case - replacement chassis. The Spyder chassis is much stiffer - and heavier!! They are a friendly bunch of people and offer a side protection update which I am sure could be also used to stiffen the body. Take a look at <a href='http://www.spydercars.co.uk/pg2_spy_rollbar.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.spydercars.co.uk/pg2_spy_rollbar.htm</a> I feel it is worth while getting the chassis right.
By the way I have just been out for a drive in the open car as it is 24?c plus here in Cologne. Not sure if you would be best off buying a "spyder" car to convert or a convertable to Spyderise!
Whatever you do you will be lucky to find one that does not need some work - I will change the wiring loom on mine this winter, and have some work done on the trim. I feel it is worth spending a little money to get it absolutely right.
Good Luck.
Chris Draper
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mgb2010 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:57 am

Eric,
Yes the body is off the chassis. After thirty years and approx 25k miles(!) the chassis was like new beneath the underseal (factory applied?). So I stripped it added a few strengthening plates in the usual places, rust proofed it, repainted it & re-undersealed it. The chassis is now essentially complete with the engine installed; everything has been overhauled/replaced. I have used TT adjustable dampers (GAZ I believe), added their threaded spring seats, replaced driveshafts with a UJ-sliding spline version. The engine was rebuilt at 16k-18k to give approx 155hp so I have only stripped cleaned and rebuilt with a new water pump.
The interior of the car (which is out of the shell at the moment) required only minimal cleaning.
The whole project is to give me a car that can be enjoyed on track days but can be driven on the road on hot weekends. I have seen a few nice drop heads and was looking further before I committed myself. I am doing the prep work on the body but will have a it professionally painted when finished.

mgb
mgb2010
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: