S2 photos and history. What parts are missing?

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Prior to starting the restoration of my S2, I'd like to identify and track down as many of the original parts as possible. Obviously the steering wheel and instruments are wrong but from these photos, can anyone spot any other parts that need to be sourced. I'm going to have the car restored to fast road 1966 spec so engine bits and bobs aren't as much of an issue as cosmetic items.

Some history on the car itself. Chassis number 26/4143. Engine number LP 2545 LBA. Body number 3778. Both the original engine and chassis are present. Incidentally, where can I find the body number?

The car was finished in Cirrus White with Black interior and a Grey hood, it was invoiced to East Bay Service Ltd., Nassau on February 2nd 1965 for John Gordon of New Providence. Gordon was a respected privateer driver that raced numerous examples of the Lotus and OSCA marques, his most notable performances' having come at the Sebring 12 Hours in 1960 and '62 where he won his class on both occasions with a works OSCA. Upon delivery, Mr Gordon immediately set about preparing 26/4143 for competition use.

Throughout 1965 Mr Gordon cleaned up in every club race he entered but the headline event of the Bahamian racing calendar was of course the end-of-season Bahamas Speed Weeks. For 1965 Gordon contested three of the twelve events. The first, the Island Residents' race, fell to Hans Schenk in his new Porsche RSK Spyder, 26/4143 finishing in the runners up spot. Gordon went one better in the second race, his Elan winning after Schenk retired on lap two with a broken fuel pump. In the Bahamas Cup event, Gordon finished tenth. For 1966, he set about further improving 26/4143 by having the rear wheelarches flared to accomodate wider JAP Magnesium wheels. During 1966, Gordon's domination of the domestic scene continued and in the Speed Week, he took a clean sweep of victories, winning both events for Island Residents' and also the Bahamas Cup.
Attachments
lotuselan264143a.jpg and
1965 Bahamas Speed Week.
lotuselan264143b.jpg and
1965 Bahamas Speed Week.
lotuselan264143c.jpg and
1965 Bahamas Speed Week.
lotuselan264143d.jpg and
1966 Bahamas Speed Week.
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:04 pm

And here are the photos of its current state.
Attachments
lotuselan264143e.jpg and
lotuselan264143f.jpg and
lotuselan264143g.jpg and
lotuselan264143h.jpg and
lotuselan264143i.jpg and
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks for the body number, when Bill Fralic and myself went to look at the sister Elan 26/4142 last year it was missing the VIN tag but we got a body number of 3663 off of the right hand firewall just below the shelf that supports the bonnet. When bill went back to talk to the owner he got the engine number that Identified the Elan as 26/4142. The photos are not of the body numbers from the sister Elan but are of some of my Elans and will help you in looking for the number. The doors should have the 4 digits in grease pencil on them.
Dymo lable molded into the firewall
Door with grease penciled number
Crashed Elan with firewall dymo lable
Back firewall with grease pencil number

As I'm sure you know the dash is wrong as is the trim attatched to the underside of the dash. The top radiator hose is missing the alloy pipe. The experts will be along shortly to tell you what I have missed.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:22 pm

I assume your going to want to drive it on the road also so to start-- ----750 dollars for the wind shield frame ---500 or so for the windshield --wiper motor and drive and arms etc etc 400 bucks ---top -window frames and buttress supports ---800 or 900 bucks -----and no doubt there's more smaller bits like lift the dot fasteners but they are peanuts -----that's just for the back on the road keep the wind and rain off you bits -- :cry: -dash looks good --keep the steering wheel ---roll bar is period [same as mine ]---wheels are good --motor looks good ---WHATS THE PROBLEM??? ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:52 pm

I think the car looks great - if it were mine I wouldn't change anything to affect the aesthetic appeal.

Being picky ? the rear lights do not look original for a car probably produced late 64. From memory, these lights were introduced just prior to S3.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Thanks for the body number info. Will check it out later.

Regarding the windshield, I'm going to have a small aero screen fabricated as per the fourth period photo. Whilst the car might look pretty respectable in the photos, the paintwork is poor so will need to be completely redone. My opinion is that if I'm going to spend ?7k or so to get an excellent shell, the rest is worth doing at the same time. I don't want to drive a car that is in any way half done. The rolling chassis is structurally very good so will just need to be stripped and refinished. I haven't started the engine yet. The car arrived at the docks with no battery and anyway, this was plumbed in to a full width rollcage that was only loosely installed. I think as Gary suggested on another thread, I'll have a hot new motor freshly built and keep the original safe and sound out of the car. The steering wheel rubber is perishing and will need to be replaced.
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:24 pm

bcmc33 wrote:I think the car looks great - if it were mine I wouldn't change anything to affect the aesthetic appeal.

Being picky ? the rear lights do not look original for a car probably produced late 64. From memory, these lights were introduced just prior to S3.

The Elan was invoiced February 2nd 1965 and the rear tail lamps are the correct 684 Lucas units that were introduced at or around 26/4127 just before this Elan was built. It should have All of the S2 equipment introduced at 26/4109, LF14 front brakes, S2 driveshafts, Axles and output shafts. Get a copy of "the original Lotus Elan" by Paul Robinshaw and Christopher Ross and a copy of Myles Wilkins "Lotus Twin-cam engine" before you go off and start buying stuff, it will help a lot. Brian Buckland's book is also a good one but geared towards the later Elan's in my opinion.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:18 pm

hold up there partner------live with the car for a little bit --right now your all pumped up ready to pull the thing apart and pitch pounds of money at the thing ------the paint can be brought back to luster with some fine polish compound ---- torn fiber glass can be repaired in situ --so don't put some body man in a position for him to pay for his Ferrari with your enthusiasm and money -----pretend your a Scot for a month -be cool - :shock: ---ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:39 pm

I have 26/4221 and it has the same tailights as 26/4143, so I think those are likely correct-

Steve
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:39 pm

I have 26/4221 and it has the same tailights as 26/4143, so I think those are likely correct-

Steve
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:42 pm

hey Steve your posting twice --ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:42 pm

hey Steve your posting twice - :lol: -ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Sorry :roll: , got so excited there was a subject I could contribute to!

Steve
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm

LoTex wrote:Sorry :roll: , got so excited there was a subject I could contribute to!Steve

Oh! I thought it was because you had two taillights :lol: :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:09 am

Are you thinking, back to Cirrus White for the body color?
Can you find the original white under your poor blue paint job? Stripping one layer of paint at a time is possible.
I'd keep the original body.
Why have a spare engine?
What amazes me is if you look closely at the 1966 photo the steering wheel appears to be the spindly slotted spoke thin wood rimmed original. How anyone raced an Elan for a couple of years without breaking it is beyond me.
Good Luck, you're a lucky Elan owner, I'd drive it fast before I made any long term "restoration" decisions.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: