Twincam Oil Pump removal

PostPost by: the rolfie » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:04 am

HI all I need to change my oil pump, can this be done with the engine in the car? Also is there an easy way to remove the fuel pump? Thanks in advance.
the rolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:31 am

Hi there,
There is no easy way with a Lotus!!

To get the oil pump off you will need to remove the left hand enhine mount from the chassis and then lower the engine enough to pull the pump out. Its a bit of a fiddle but you can do it - Just make sure the carbs don't take all of the engine weight.

To get the petrol pump out you will need to remove the cards as a minimum. Also if you can remove the starter motor this will then give you good access from underneath the car.

Always ensure you disconnect the battery - Carbs and sparks don't go down very well - They do go up though!!!

Good luck

David :oops:
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rodgerslotus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi There,

Not sure what model Lotus, but I just changed oil and fuel pump on 72 Elan +2 US model.

Fuel Pump; I did remove the starter motor. Having a 3/8 racket drive which turns from the bottom handle will be very handy. :) Stanley Tools makes a good one. Not alot of room to use a standard racket drive.

I did not remove the carbs, if you have small hands and some flexibility it can be done, if not removing the carbs would be recommended.

I would also recommend purchasing a fuel pump without the glass bowl. These are smaller and install easier, and a few dollars cheaper. :lol:

Oil Pump; I did not remove motor mount or lower engine. The metal angle blocking the removal of the pump can be bent upward with a pair of meduim size pliers and minmum effort. Quick turn of the pump and it comes right out. :shock: Install new pump, tighten pump, check for leaks. If no leaks, take pliers and reverse bend. The other pump removal recommedation was text book correct in every way. :!:

Regards,
Ty Rodgers
Tiger, Healey, Morgan, Lotus, 2 MGA's
rodgerslotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: davea » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:57 pm

Oil pump removes 'easily'. Remove oil filter. Remove bolts holding
pump to block. If you cannot then pull it out far enough (some pumps
have taller impellers - big volume pumps) then remove RH engine
mount attachment and raise that side a bit. If still no go, detach LH engine mount.

David Anderson Elan S4. BTW: why are you removing the oil pump?
davea
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: the rolfie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:13 am

Thanks for getting back to me I am changing the oil pump to see if this solves my up and down oil pressure!! Fuel pump had air comming into the glass bowl, so I am going to change that also. Can't complain have had many miles of trouble free motoring. Thanks
the rolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:46 am

Be careful of what Ty is suggesting - Bending the chassis will result in the paint cracking and a small amount of stress.
The main concern would be rust - If you do bend it, ensure that you repaint the corner next to the bodywork, both on top and underneath.

The problem I had when I jacked up the engine was the steering rack then stopped me from removing the pump.

Best thing to do is to remove the bolts and see how much space you need to extract the pump - then decide what method you use.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveb1 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:34 am

Up and down oil pressure could be caused by a bad connection, if you have an electronic Oil pressure gauge. Try soldering the tag where it is riveted to the oil pressure sender. Took 5 mins and work for me.
Air in the Fuel pump could be caused by a small leak some where between the tank and the pump, not necessarily letting petrol out but letting air in as the pump sucks. Of course your initial assumptions could be correct also.
steveb1
New-tral

PostPost by: the rolfie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:23 pm

The fuel pump problem I thought maybe some dirt jamed in the non-return valve as it used to drive fine at times and then react as if running out of fuel! Then if you took off the glass bowl and refited would drive fine again! I thought this was due to a build up of air in the glass bowl stopping fuel to enter the centre of the pump. I have now changed the pump but as yet have not had the time to set the carbs back up correctly yet. Any other advice greatly recived.
the rolfie
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: