New Clutch Thrust Bearing

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi. Anyone got any comments re the fit of a new Clutch Thrust Bearing?

I have a new bearing and when I came to fit it to the carrier, it was a loose fit.
The Workshop Manual states that it has an interference fit.

Should I fit this, or try to locate a correct interference one, if I can locate one?

It was purchased from CN, but I understand that PM also has a batch of loose bearings.
I assume that they have come from the same Manufacturer.

My guess is that the interference fit on the shoulder is to ensure that the bearing race rotates only, so am I right to think that being loose, the whole bearing could rotate on the carrier, which would damage the carrier?

Thanks for any replies.
Attachments
Clutch Thrust Bearing.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Trevor,
The release bearing is indeed a light press fit in the carrier. As you surmise it restricts rotation to the bearing itself and also assures that the bearing stays in place with respect to the entire linkage through its motion. I installed a new one in my +2 within the last six months. It came from Ray at RD Enterprises here in the US. The fit was proper. I would not use a loose one.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:28 am

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your comment.

I have spoke with the supplier in the UK, he is going to measure the rest of his stock and phone me back.
I will report the outcome.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:11 pm

That's interesting - I occasionally have a noise similar to a worn out release bearing when I start to engage the clutch - except that the bearing is fairly new.

It only happens when I start off after a long lay-up in the garage - no other time. I will investigate when I have a moment. Thoughts of inkjet refill syringes and loctite spring to mind... :wink:

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi Dave,
As you mention that the sound is only after a lay up and is ok at other times. It's more likely that the Clutch Disc is starting to stick to the surface of the Flywheel/Pressure Plate.
I suppose that it is possible that a similar noise could be made by the Clutch Thrust Bearing rotating on the carrier, but I would think that this would be more of a permanent noise.

I did get a response from the supplier in that a replacement bearing come in the post. :)
Regrettably it is exactly the same as the other, loose by .002". It also has the same Identity marking i.e. "405804".
Looks like a visit is required to supplier/s along with the Bearing Carrier and Vernier. :(
Looks like I will also need the inkjet syringe & loctite. :wink:
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:02 am

Trevor
If you get no joy with your supplier,give me a pm I might be able to help

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:22 am

John

If I cannot resolve the problem this week, I will pm you.

Thanks
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: