Yet Another Brake Servo Question

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:21 pm

I recently ordered a Lockheed replacement brake servo for my +2 from one of the most reputable suppliers. I seem to recall that Lockheed was bought by Delphi some years ago. Therefore I was expecting a Lockheed or Delphi box to arrive. However a "Powertune" servo arrived although it certainly looks like the Lockheed unit. My web surfing for "Powetune" has turned up nothing. Can anyone tell who "Powertune" is (oops, are)? I have an uneasy feeling about brake components from Brand X.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:14 pm

Sounds like a play on words to me. The old Girling unit use to carry a "Powerstop" lable!!

I have never heard of Powertune - Can U post a photo?
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Good idea about posting a photo. I'll try to do that tomorrow morning.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:44 pm

OK, images of the servo and box are posted. Thanks in advance for any help on identification.
Attachments
DSC_0003.jpg and
DSC_0002.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:14 pm

It looks exactly the same as the Lockheed unit. Maybe there is a licencing or Trade Mark issue using the Lockheed Trade name.
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:08 pm

My Lockheed unit had a anodized vacuum unit rather than one painted black. Was this a refurbished unit? That might account for the name?

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:56 pm

It looks the same as the one I bought from Classicar about 18 months ago. I was told the latest black painted ones didn?t suffer from the problem of the brakes sticking on requiring the extra spring to be fitted. It?s been OK so far.

Alan.
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:26 pm

pereirac wrote:Was this a refurbished unit? That might account for the name?Carl

Hmmm, it was not described as such.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu May 01, 2008 1:16 am

I took my brake servo out of circuit over 30 years ago, after a second traffic queue nose-prang when the engine stalled, but rolling didn't stop & I just didn't 'believe' how much foot pressure I had to apply when ther was no vacuum.

Yes, I know that shouldn't happen, bit it DID twice.

I've never missed it since, brake foot pressure on an Elan with no server is not excessive. I still get full braking effect.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pdgeorge1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:49 am

I know my response is a little late but I have only just seen the topic on Lockheeed/Powertune servos. (google search)
Firstly, I don't have a Lotus. (I live in Norwich, UK near the Lotus factory though) But see many on test drives from the factory near my house.

I have an MGB GT and a Volvo Amazon and I bought a Powertune single circuit servo for my Amazon as the Girling Powerstop had failed, even a rebuild kit from Ebay didn't fix the leak.
Well, I fitted the servo as per the instruction and when I started the engine all the brakes seized on!
I got a replacement and still the same happened. I do believe that both Powertune and Lockeheed servos are the same apart form the price.
One of your members mentioned about return springs in the servo, I will definately check this out. Any info would be greatly welcome.
Great site guys. If anybody needs anything posting from the Hethal factory (paper stuff not engines) I would be pleased to do so,
Have fun
Regards,
Peter
[email protected]
pdgeorge1
New-tral

PostPost by: peterako » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Peter,

Not sure if this couyld apply to a Servo installed and then used staright away....

But it has been previously commented a lot on this forum that the Lockheed servo needs to be tipped up a bit and turned at an angle so that:

1. It can be bleed correctly
2. The seals don't stick....thus causing locked brakes.

I know with my Lockheed Servo I got instructions to that effect and have installed the servo with these parameters. So far (touch wood) so good :)

Best of luck,
Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:26 pm

I have just fitted a lockheed servo to my +2. I got it from ebay and it looks identical to the one pictured on this thread, including the black painted vacuum body.

I Googled the servo and found some installation instructions - see attachment.

I followed the orientation guidelines and have had no problems since fitting 300 miles ago.

I also ran my +2 a while without the servo - you could get used to it but it is still a hefty press to get a full power stop.

Dave Chapman.
Attachments
RemoteServo.pdf
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 14872 times
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:32 pm

I have in my hand (or had) this months Practical Classic mag. An advert therein shows two sevos identical even down to the part Numbers.
one is AP the other is a copy I assume. Made in where ever. The original (?) Is 100gbp for the kit (Caparo AP). The cheaper one 'back by popular demand' is 60 gbp. Its part Number isTT3949Z. The AP is TT3949.

I am not for one minute saying there is anything wrong with these fine looking products. They are probably V good ...... :roll: :roll:

From this I assume, and I may be wrong, that they are being remanufactured to demand by ..? Where...?? God only knows. MANY PARTS NOW ARE MADE IN THE FAR EAST. I restore and enjoy riding, (and b4 you shoot me, I have a few big FAST motorcycles also, and if I should become airborn, I am also licensed to fly it!!) Of all things, Classic Lambretta motor scoots. I know, I know..
Indian/Vietnamese/etc parts are everywhere for these bikes. Some are ok (Just!) and some are complete sh1t. I had a front mudguard from V'nam. Looked ok. Came finished in grey primer. I wanted to powder coat it so I removed the primer. Underneath was a mix of filler and newspaper over a hand beaten lump of steel plate. Awfull! it went straight into the skip. Cost? 100 gbp.

I fear this is just another example of the Knock off culture. More than likely a cheaper made copy. They LOOK the same. But sometimes they are NOT.

AB...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: