Brian Buckland Book

PostPost by: melon.28 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:02 pm

Hi All,

An article featured in Classic & Sportscar june 2004, present Brian Buckland you speak about his future plan to issue a book.
(600 pages 800 photograph -Maintenance & restoration manual)

As anybody news about this certainly very insterresting book ?

Melon.28
melon.28
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:11 pm

The book should be ready for the Stonleigh show so I am led to beleive.
Dave Hughes
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:52 pm

Hello this is the Elanman himself, Brian Buckland. I see my book 'The Rebuilding of a Lotus Elan' has been promised for the Lotus show at Stoneleigh. I wish someone had asked me!! I am doing my best and I believe it will be done. You will have it for a Christmas present but you will have to supply your own spanners.

I appologise to all Elan owners for the extended delay over publication caused in the main part by Lotus themselves suddenly becomming very difficult over some Copyright drawings which I had previously been given permission to use. Lotus were so helpful in the early days and it is to be most regreted that they have become difficult. I thought we were on the same side.

The book has taken all but 3 years and as most people also know includes a heart attack. If it helps you super Elan owners on the most wonderful car I have ever driven it will have been worth it.

Brian Buckland, the Elanman.
elanman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:42 am

Brian,

For those of us in the other side of the pond, when is the Lotus show at Stoneleigh? Can you also reveal the publisher?

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:22 am

November 13th
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:32 pm

Hello'

Its Brian Buckland the Elanman himself again, adding to the information given recently regarding my forth coming book 'The Rebuilding of a Lotus Elan'.

The book is to be self published for no other reason that it will keep the price down. I am concerned that with the size (thicker than the Lotus manual) and detail in the manual it is expensive and I am doing my best to give it to Lotus owners at the chepest possible price. I have had offers from publishers but they want to reduce the size and charge a Kings ransom, so I said NO.

It will be for sale from Paul Matty, Chris Neil, Spyder and from Club Lotus. if you want a signed copy from me at the same price ?80 you can telephone or e mail me at;

Elanman,
9 Grove Avenue,
Coombe Dingle,
Bristol BS9 2RN,
United Kingdom.

01179 049549

[email protected]

I have many people ring me for advice which I am always pleased to give for free for the love of the car. Anyone would be most welcome to ring. Sometimes you have to join a queue.
elanman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:27 pm

WELL DONE, VERY BRAVE AND ADMIRABLE.

will we see you at Stonleigh?
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:29 pm

I know this will spark a furious response, but, to me ?80 for a book IS a Kings Ransom

Sorry Brian, Good luck with it anyway :)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:56 pm

nebogipfel wrote: but, to me ?80 for a book IS a Kings Ransom

I'm not saying an Elan book is not worth ?80 but it is hardly a subject that has not been reserched before, what would I learn new that has not been covered in numerous other books? (including the workshop manual) I'm not been negitive but apart from having an other book in the collection why is an other book nessesary?
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:05 pm

waw
Last edited by elanfan1 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:03 pm

Thanks for that Steve, and I can see where if someone is new to Elans the book would be of imense help instead of pageing through a mutitude of publications.
However I would like to point out that there isnt always a "right way" as what works for one person does not always work for someone else, this can be seen by the different approaches/recomended actions on this forum.(an example is some of Keith's post's)
While Brian no doubt will be giving the best advice gained through many years of expericence with Elans and what has worked for him I dont think there is a difinitive way of doing everything.
Sorry if I missed it but will the book also cover Plus Two Elans and will it point out the differences between the S1/2's and the S3/4's which are basically the same but do have some changes in design? particulary with the electrical systems.Would the Federal versions be covered?
Regards Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:04 am

More than three cheers to elanman, and a Thank You.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:25 pm

Cheaper than a couple of meals & a few drinks for yourself & the missus if you put it in perspective.
I want one.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DrEntropy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:38 pm

Having been "away" from driving my Elan for nearly a decade I'd be inclined to buy it as well. Always open to seeing how someone else approaches rebuilding.

It ~IS~ steep by the time currency conversion, shipping, etc. are added to get it here to th' Colonies, but all information seems to be that way now.
Dr E--
mhm 17x1
'67 S-3 DHC
'69 +2
'64 MGB
'78 Alfa Spider
'84 300D Turbo
DrEntropy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:17 am

Congratulation Brian on completing the book. I look forward to seeing a copy soon (Stoneleigh?).

It may be a good idea to make available sample pages so that prospective purchaser can see first hand the nature of the book. It may also appease the sceptics! I'm not sure where the pages could be kept although LotusElan.net is the obvious place providing there is no objection from other users.

Karl

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: