When did tracer colour on wires start being painted on?

PostPost by: oldchieft » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi all
I have been working on auto wiring for over 45 years, in all that time I don't ever remember insulation were the the tracer colour rubs off.

IMG_1100.jpg and
wire with painting by numbers

Any one found the same thing?

Also what suppliers have the old style wire?

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:38 pm

John,

I have used Vehicle Wiring Products and Auto Electrical Supplies.

I don't know if they have what you need, but they have a large range of wire.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Speaking of wire and probably not a problem when buying from a known source, but watch out for copper clad aluminum (CCA) wire being sold as copper wire. I just received a shipment (fleaBay) of the stuff. Complained and my money was refunded but the seller still has the auctions out there that say "copper". They didn't even want it back.

"AUDIOPIPE HWY 836 USA STANDARD 16GA PRIMARY WIRE AP-16" is how this wire was marked. According to the manufacturer (not who I bought it from) it is CCA and made in China. Audiopipe is a reputable manufacturer of car audio equipment and my gripe isn't with them, but with the supplier selling it as copper.

CCA wire has been used for years for car audio and alarms but I won't use it anywhere for primary wire. Google it and make up your own mind. If you're only interested in "added Lightness" this is your wire. :twisted:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: