Bonnet catch replacement for pins

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:14 am

I have now decided that as I am going in for a full strip and respray, that I should probably reinstate the bonnet catch system on my car.( it has had pins since at least 72) Does anyone have any have any advice on sourcing the parts,and are there any modifications/improvements to the original?
I am at a bit of a loss for starting this off,as I have absolutely no original parts to go on!
All thoughts gratefully received!

Ray
S4 fhc,legal and roadworthy,soon to be beautiful!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:04 am

Hi Ray,
Sue Miller had all the necessary parts in stock for series 4 recently. The catches are the same as series 3 & I think S1&2 as well but the release cable is peculiar to S4 & Sprint. Can provide you with some photo's if needed.
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks for that Tim,I have just spoken to Sue Miller(what a delightful person to talk to!),who is putting the required parts together for me.
If it is no trouble Tim,I would very much appreciate any photos that you might have.
I am a bit in shock at having someone to talk to that is both knowledgable and pleasant to talk to. Now I understand why people speak so highly of Sue.

Ray
S4 in many component parts,almost paint free!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi Ray, Yes, Susan is indeed a truly delightful lady, always helpful & someone I'm honored to count amongst my friends. I'm a bit busy with a club meeting tonight but will endeavor to sort some pic's for you tomorrow.
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:35 am

Orsom Weels wrote:Hi Ray, Yes, Susan is indeed a truly delightful lady, always helpful & someone I'm honored to count amongst my friends. I'm a bit busy with a club meeting tonight but will endeavor to sort some pic's for you tomorrow.
Regards, Tim

As promised :)

Elan bonnet catch, bonnet.JPG and
Bonnet catch hook pop riveted to bonnet

Elan bonnet catch, LH.JPG and
Left hand catch

Elan bonnet catch, RH.JPG and
Right hand catch

Elan bonnet catch,.JPG and
Better detail

Elan S4 Bonnet release cable.JPG and
Release cable & fittings

Elan S4 Bonnet release cable anchor bobbins.JPG and
Anchor bobbins that bolt through bulkhead

Let me know if you need anything more

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks very much for those pictures Tim,they really are extremely helpful.
Ray
s4 fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:50 pm

The other thing that you will need is a way to hold the center of the line to the bulkhead or to the valve cover, or else it protrudes out over the engine. I would love a picture of how people hold it to the bulkhead. Mine is connected to the valve cover and its not as neat a solution. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:01 pm

If you are refitting bonnet catches i found the only true way of getting them good is when the engine is out (sit in the engine bay and slowly close the bonnet and adjust etc while watching it close) that way you can tweak it while the bonnet is shut, also make sure where the cable goes through the Catch spring is as lined up with the bonnet cable guides fixed to the bulkhead (makes the operation smooth)

Failing that make sure you tie some strong string or fishing line around the loop on the top of the spring and tie the other end to the wiper as a safety (not a fun bonnet to try and get open if the cable fails)

Another tip is to get the cam cover springs to hold the cable, my car's cable was originally fixed to the Bulkhead and after allot of messing and a few moments where the bonnet stuck so i sacked that idea and went with the later route across the cam cover (i thought better to have it working well than routed well)

Last thing, they may be making the Cable guides now but just in case there still hard to get hold of there is some bits on ebay at the moment that could be salvaged with a fresh galv plating session http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-BO ... 54215e3343 (i know the springs and Cable are easy to get hold of at the usual suspects)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:05 am

Grizzly wrote:Last thing, they may be making the Cable guides now but just in case there still hard to get hold of there is some bits on ebay at the moment that could be salvaged with a fresh galv plating session http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-BO ... 54215e3343 (i know the springs and Cable are easy to get hold of at the usual suspects)

As stated in my first reply, Sue had these, along with most everything else required for S4. I'm helping a friend with his S3 at the moment & he had bonnet pins which we've returned to original so we sorted through what Sue had. Unfortunately, she didn't have everything for S3, so we've had to make up a few parts.
A good tip from Chris re fitting & adjusting while the engine is out, that's how we did it, it's much easier to see where everything needs to be & mark positions etc from under the bonnet.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Ok, i tried to get some off her in feb and she didn't have any (hence my post) sounds like she has some new stock in now.

Typical, i had to get mine replated :roll:
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Actually just thought of another tip.

If you look at the picture below. See the thread stuck out (put a red circle round it), on mine i had to adjust the Cable Guide right in because that threaded part is a bit long so was bottoming out with the cable pulled. I always planed on taking it all back off and trimming those but never did. If there a bit shorter the springs would clear the bonnet much better.
Excuse the grubby/dusty pic, looks clean until you take a picture :roll:
P1040134.JPG and

BTW, think that's a SJSportscar cable.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:12 am

All parts just arrived from the lovely Sue. ( with the exception of the dashboard bracket,which she didn't have)
Does anyone have a car in bits so that they can give me a photo of the bracket?
If I'm going to have to make it myself I may as well at least try to make it similar to the original.
Just a thought,but has anyone fitted any sort of "fail safe" secondary catch on the bonnet? I was told years ago that my car had pins fitted because the original owner had needed to fit a new bonnet at least twice,so gave up on the original fittings.
Thanks to everyone that has given me help and information on this subject.
Ray
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:27 pm

I would be interested in some sort of fail safe bonnet latch too. The original clips aren't the most positive fastening I've ever seen.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Mine has a keylock using a sort of panel lock with a long steel tongue which turns into a slot bolted to the top of the engine compartment. The pull cables mechanism completely removed.
BonnetCatch.jpg and
Bonnet Lock keyhole

BonnetLockSlot.jpg and
Bonnet lock slot

This was done by Vegantune of Spalding back in the early 80s as part of a refurb. I don't know where they got the lock, but it is similar to these at Screwfix, but with the addition of a 'rain cover'

http://www.screwfix.com/c/security-iron ... /cat810286

Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 am

Europas used that sort of bonnet lock which is where I presume they got the idea from

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: