Advice Needed On Willans Harnesses

PostPost by: jackbrewer » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:02 am

I would like some advice on the best configuration of Willans harnesses for the following application:

1969 S4 DHC; mostly used for street driving but also occasional track days. My initial thought is for 2" 4-point harnesses with cam-lock release. I'm not sure which belt configuration is best for my car. All assistance is appreciated.

Many thanks.
Jack
jackbrewer
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:21 pm

Jack,
I had a Willans 4 pt in my Sprint but I found it very uncomfortable. The lap belt adjusters were impossible to work, as they were down next to the door and next to the console on the other side. If I wanted any snugness of the shoulder belts, it then pulled the lap belt up into my stomach. The whole arrangement needed a crotch belt to hold it in place. I went back to the factory 3 pt.

Greg
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:14 pm

TTR does Willans harness for the Elan which he says are specially made to fit.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:49 pm

Kelvedon Motors do a lovely lightweight harness; specially made for them & the Elan apparently. I haven't fitted them yet though so I can't comment on their comfort. I think the price is about ?200.
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:43 pm

Jack

I have always used a six point harness in the Elan for competition. A Willans 2 inch originally and now a Schroth ( spelling ?) 3 inch due to changes in our local racing regulations which now require FIA approved 3 inch harnesses. With the angle of the seat and angle of the Lap straps you need a crotch strap arrangement to keep the lap straps low on the hips. The limited space and seat design means the lap adjusters are always down the side of the seat unless you are VERY big around the waist and thus hard to adust. However once set they dont normally need to be touch again unless you change drivers.

I also left the original 3 point harness in the car for normal road driving as the six point is to cumbersone to put on all the time when driving normally and makes reversing difficult as you cant turn in the seat very far.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jackbrewer » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:43 am

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

Jack
jackbrewer
New-tral

Total Online: