Removing Rer Strut (should I Be Brutal?)

PostPost by: tdafforn » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:00 pm

I have finally got the plug out of the strut top and now need to get
the innards out. I think that the insert is an original unit, are
there any tricks? should I get brutal? any suggestions?
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richboyd » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:24 pm

Tim,

I just went through same: took apart original Armstrong struts. The hard part was removing the threaded aluminum top cap - due to the staking of the strut tube. Once the cap was off, all of the innards literally fell out. There is no additional device (nuts, set screws, etc.) holding the struts inner workings in and they are not a tight fit. No force was required, only turning the tube upside down.

I assume that you had a fair amount of shock fluid pour all over the place. The stuff smells like gear oil; kind of a sulphur smell. If you did not have this fluid spilling out, then you might have a rust problem. The "guts" may be rusted in place. It is not hard to immagine this scenario.

Whatever the case, I would go ahead and get brutal if needed. This is assuming that you are replacing the original Armstrong units with Spax, Koni, AVO, or some other new shock. Such shocks are self-contained inserts. New inserts do not require a smooth internal surface, only intact threads at the top of the strut tube.
richboyd
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:33 pm

Top cap came out after a bit of persuasion, innards stay resolutly inside. looks like original armstrongs (match exactly with what is in the manual)
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Unibrain » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:22 pm

There is a small set screw on the side of my strut tube that holds the shock. Sorry no pictures are drawings to help locate the screw.
Unibrain
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: