two post or four post lift

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:57 pm

I only saw this now. If I had seen it before, I would have been much more confident with the two-post lift.

Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnGGuGXbz_E
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 pm

pamitchell wrote:Robb

You could consider the Kwiklift. Affordable and practical.
http://www.kwiklift.com

I find it easy to work under the Elan with this product.
Rgds,
Phil

That link should be http://www.kwik-lift.com/
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:43 pm

In that video, the Elan is shaken quite a bit while on the lift! (BTW, when he began to remove the headers I knew it wouldn't be easy.)

Here is a photo of my Elan on the lift, this time from the rear.

Andy
L1020676.JPG and
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 pm

abstamaria wrote:Here is a photo of my Elan on the lift, this time from the rear.

Andy
L1020676.JPG

Holy Cow.. Now that's a garage.... I dream of such a workshop.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks, Phil. It looks better in pictures than in real life.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:32 am

Andy

What make is the lift you have there? It looks very good and not too bulky!

We were all a bit worried about you because of the terrible weather you had a little while ago, your workshop looks as it was undamaged though.

I have a picture of your workshop on the wall (with the ?lan on the lift) in my little office and everyday at least once, I have a look and think "one day - when I win the lottery".
I really like the combination of car & workshop very much, you are a lucky man.

Any more fabulous pics of your "man cave"?

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 am

pharriso wrote:
abstamaria wrote:Here is a photo of my Elan on the lift, this time from the rear.

Andy
L1020676.JPG

Holy Cow.. Now that's a garage.... I dream of such a workshop.

Wet ones? :lol:

Joking aside, all is not perfect in dreamland, it looks like the power cable for the lift has to snake across the floor!

What really impressed me about that workshop was not the clean-ness but a secondary function of it, what I really liked was the lighting, loads and loads of flourescent strip lights which are still by far the best, the shiny floor ensures thet the underside of the car is illuminated whilst on the lift, I have lights horizontally around mine under the windows and at the same level elsewhere but it means less space for racking etc.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:10 am

Its the hydraulic hose from the power unit to the max jax hoist that runs across the ground. I am thinking of running my hoses up to the ceiling and along to the power unit permanently bolted to the wall.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:32 am

Thank you, Adam. I'm glad you like the garage.

The lift's brand is "MaxJax." It is suited for garages that do not have the height that standard 2-post lifts require. It is also portable, as the floor bolts can be unbolted and the posts wheeled around on attached casters. I keep mine permanently installed.

Here is a photo of the lift when it arrived. It is straightforward to install.

L1010605.jpg and

The storm veered South of where I live and so spared us. The devastation brought by this "super-typhoon" was horrific, and even now there are many thousands who are homeless. Power still has to be restored in many provinces. Thank you for thinking of us.

Best regards,
Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:43 am

Rohan is right, Chancer. Those are hydraulic lines that attach to the posts via quick-release couplings. The motor and pump is attached to a supplied trolley and can be put away, along with the hoses, when not in use. Here is the pump.

L1010775.jpg and

Lights are so critical, especially for me. The white, shiny floor is a great boon here, as Chancer points out. We have another garage where I decided to use a light-grey epoxy, rather than white. The reduction in brightness is quite marked. I should have used white there, also. (The floor also makes it easy to find dropped washers, etc.)

Andy
Last edited by abstamaria on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Andy

You are teasing us now, is that your Dino too? I would love one of those too but when they were really cheap ( when I was about 18) and around ?10,000 - ?12,000 for a real rough one, I couldn't afford even a tenth of that and so said "one day I'll have one". Over the years they have risen steadily and kept just a little too far ahead of being affordable for me & now they are completely out of the question forever (unless I win that lottery!). Very nice colour to have as well.

Please tell me more about the white epoxy floor paint, what is the brand/make and how good is it & is it easy to apply. I have a workshop floor that needs painting and to be honest,I was going to do it light grey but after your comments, I think I will do it white. It certainly looks stunning on your floor.

The Maxjax Lifts I found details on say in the specs that they only raise about a metre off the ground but your ?lan looks higher than that. Is that just the trick of the photo or is if higher than they say?

I really like the way you had them painted to match the toolboxes, very nicely done!
Was it a difficult job to paint? I'm seriously thinking of buying a set as I need something like this at work, and most importantly to play with the ?lan on! Would make my life so much easier.

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:07 pm

The two post lift I covet is made by Mohawk. I could squeeze it into my just over 8 foot ceilinged garage. It's big advantage for me is, both posts are hydraulic and the fluid lines can be run in the floor. This leaves no hump to push the car over, or tearing out the ceiling for overhead lines or cables. The only problem is cost. Over double the cost for most of the other taller lifts. The Maxjax is the only other alternative.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 am

Thanks, Adam. That was a photo that came easily to hand.

1. The epoxy paint I used was formulated by a local manufacturer and so would not be useful to you. But there are several floor-specific brands available where you are. From what I read, they are very good. There is a forum called ?Garage Journal,? which is a wonderful place to visit. There is a whole section just on floors! It is a very good forum with many knowledgeable and helpful members.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/foru ... y.php?f=20

2. Yes, I would recommend white over grey. Here is the other garage on which we used a light grey epoxy. As I mentioned, in comparison the brightness added by the white floor is startling.

DSC00052.JPG and

3. The MaxJax will raise the floor of a car just 1.08 meters off the floor. You cannot stand beneath the car, but can sit on a rolling stool. It is truly for low-ceiling garages.

L1020939.JPG and

4. I used plastic wrap (which is used on cars) for the posts and had the arms resprayed. Not difficult jobs.

Good luck with the garage, Adam.

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:22 am

The most difficult and critical part is drilling the holes. I contracted this out. They did a good job.

Andy

L1010693.jpg and
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:25 pm

For those interested in the MaxJax lift, Costco currently has them on special at $1999 delivered. The offering is on their online site. For Costco customers, they deliver with a lift gate vehicle for easy off loading.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: