scissor jack on ebay

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:55 pm

Hello all,
Perhaps someone can help me. There is a Lotus elan scissor jack on ebay ( 121937584536 ) which is being sold by someone who uses this forum, as elan.net is mentioned in the description.
On seeing it I now realise that I have one of those but it has the top rotating tray missing.
If you have one handy can you please give me the measurements of this part and the thickness of the steel so that I can make one.
Length. width, and inside depth would be a great help.
I have been using it as it is with a piece of wood as a spreader and I have to say that it is not a good jack.
However it would be better if complete.
Hope you can help
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:07 pm

PM'd

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:24 am

Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Thankyou John and Steve.
I think I now enough information to make one,
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:58 pm

I have been following the continued interest regards jacks ie the conventional Elan ( 2 seater ) and the question when did Lotus start using scissor jacks either on the 2 seater Elan or plus 2.
I had a scissor jack with a late 5 speed plus 2 I owned some years ago but was not sure if / if not the jack was original so bought what I thought was the correct jack for the plus 2 off ebay which went with the car when I sold it.
I was having a much needed clear up in the garage today and came across the scissor jack that came with my late plus 2 , it looks just like a conventional scissor jack but instead of having the flat surface that would locate on the underside of the car it has pin that locates through the plus 2 fibreglass sill into the steel box section inner sill ( if that makes sense ? ) .
Some time ago I nearly cut the pin off so I could make better use of the jack , I'm glad I didn't now.
I currently own a 1973 FHC Elan Sprint the previous owner owning it for 20 plus years and being meticulous about the cars previous history.
When I bought the Sprint some years ago it came with tools and jack in its hessian sack , my Sprints jack is not a scissor jack but the one I always considered that 'all' 2 seater Elans were supplied with.
I've learnt something this last couple of months . I wonder when and why Lotus started supplying scissor jacks with their Elans and plus 2's?
Anyone need a scissor jack for their plus 2, all I now need to find is the jack handle that's in the garage somewhere.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:59 pm

My Sprint is a January 73 model and came with the scissor Jack and associated sack ....
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:30 pm

My October 72 Sprint has a (light blue) scissor jack as well.. The 'sack' is of the semi clear woven plastic type, not like the nice fancy black vinyl 'reproduction' bags.. :D
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: