Pillar drill recommendation

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:59 am

Hi there,
I'm thinking about buying a pillar drill, bench or floor mounted, for general work. Looking at two "Record" drills but wondered if anybody can give a recommend? I don't want a cheap import but neither do I want to open a machine shop.
Ideally I would buy surplus item from a machine shop or garage (as I did with my four post ramp).

Any thoughts please?

Martin
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 am

The modern cheap Chinese units work OK. If you can find an older heavier duty one used in good condition that is certainly an alternative. I find the floor mount drill press better with the longer travel on the bed compared to the bench mount units and that is useful for big objects, but it depends if you have space for one.

Get a cross slide vice to go with it as that enables more precise setup and it also enables some simple milling jobs if you get some milling bits for the drill but be careful how you do this as the Morse taper for the chuck can come loose or mount a Dremel in the drill press via an adapter which is probably a safer option.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:25 am

Personally I favour old English iron. I have a Startrite Mercury floor stander but the likes of Fobco, Boxford, Meddings etc. are also recommended. Preferably one with a Morse taper.

Stuff comes up here on a regular basis:- https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

No idea about suppliers in NI.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Modern Chinese from the usual suspects are OK for hobby work, but I also prefer old English wherever possible - you have to be selective though as these machines are getting on a bit and many have been abused and are now knackered.

I have a Fobco Star bench mounted pillar drill which is in good condition - which I would recommend. There are a few on eBay at the moment, but the prices are quite steep. Don't buy unseen, you need to check out a second hand machine in person before buying.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: