Please Introduce your self and welcome to LotusElan.net

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm

UAB807F wrote:I can't remember when they were introduced, but someone is bound to know on here.Brian

elan-f14/when-were-the-airflow-vents-added-the-elan-coupe-t16249.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:39 pm

:D

See, I said someone would be along with the answer ! Actually that's much later than I'd have thought, for some reason I'd assumed it would have been earlier as a mid-run facelift to boost sales (and charge a few quid more at the same time)

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: George4th » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:01 am

Guild member and proud of it
George4th
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ethanlance » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:49 am

Hello everyone. Last month I took ownership of a 1967 S3 that has been in the family since 1977.

She sat idle for the last ten years and I'm spending all my spare time getting the brakes and clutch sorted. I replaced the caliper pistons, rebuilt the calipers, replaced the clutch slave cylinder, rebuilt the master cylinders etc. I'm still about a weekend away from getting her back on the road.

LotusElan.net has been an awesome source of information. Thanks!
Attachments
301190_10151227417129993_1916546269_n.jpg and
296492_10151229247744993_1310418351_n.jpg and
337575_10151227316519993_1897097101_o.jpg and
ethanlance
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AnthonyBelcher » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi everybody

As a newcomer to LotusElan.net can I say that this Introductory thread is not easily found. I'm sure more new members would like to make themselves known to the community if only they could find this thread more easily.

The only way that I found this thread was by posting a suggestion that new members should have an area to introduce themselves. The only response I got to this was from a chap called Mike who made no comment other than giving me the link to this thread.

I have just read the nine pages of introductions and the majority are from established users.

It would be interesting to make this link more noticeable say on the home page and see if the new members introductions increase. I'm sure they would as there have not been that many since it's start in 2009.
Anthony Belcher.
Warwick, England.

'They call me baby driver and once upon a pair of wheels I hit the road and I'm gone.......
AnthonyBelcher
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Very true Anthony, but such an action could only be performed by an administrator and we have only one, the web master, Jeff Cocking, and alas we have not heard from him since around February.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AnthonyBelcher » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks Bill I noticed he'd gone AWOL. That's a shame it's such a good website it's kept me amused for hours while we are away on holiday. Got a lot to learn with my new car.
Regards
Anthony Belcher.
Warwick, England.

'They call me baby driver and once upon a pair of wheels I hit the road and I'm gone.......
AnthonyBelcher
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Well, thanks to Anthonys query and Mikes link I've come across this post. Not sure it won't be lost in cyberspace immediatly but her go's!

Been going to introduce my S1 26/3754 and myself to the forum for some time but since I'm a computer illiterate I've been waiting for some help loading picture's. With a little help from my son and a little good luck a couple should be coming up.

I believe I am the third owner of 3754. The first and only owner till recently was a colonel in the US air force. He owned the car till he was killed in an ultra-lite plane crash in the early 1980's. The car lanquished in a hanger until the second owner purchased it from his widow a few years ago. The second owner is a fellow who I believe is occasionally on this forum from Glenwood Ia. Since he has 2 other Elan's and some other very class projects he didn't get around to this one and I purchased it this spring.
The car, unfortunatly has not had a easy life. The car at the time of the colonel's demise had been torn down to repair a broken throw out bearing spigot. The dash and much of the interior was removed as well and the dash plus all the guages was lost along with other odds and ends. The car also was covered with other items that no one knew what to do with to the point that the windsheild was broken, the hardtop turned to mush, and the body deformed from the weight.
It will be a challenge!!

Kurt 26/3754
Attachments
CIMG1273.JPG and
CIMG1272.JPG and
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Apparently I ran out of room in my last post to tell you a little about me!
Yes, I'm a Lotus virgin but am not new to British cars. I have owned at least one Brit car at any one time since I was a teenager. I'm now SS age.
Mainly MGB's, Sprites, and Midgets with a MG TC and a XKE thrown in. I've admired Mr Chapman's creations and exploits since reading Road and Track in high school study hall and always wanted a Lotus but unfortunatly didn't buy one when I could have had one cheaply.
I am a farmer by occupation but have done quite a few odd things over my life. In my youth I raced short and flat track bikes and was in business with a friend making custom racing bikes. He built the frames and I manufactured the fiberglass body parts and gas tank's. So I am familiar with the smell of curing polyester resin!!

Kurt

26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TurbineHeli » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Hello, my name is Angier and located in eastern Massachusetts. Just stumbled across this site and it looks like a treasure trove of Lotus knowledge. My first Elan was a new 1970 S4, loved it but began looking for an earlier model. In '74 I acquired what I thought was an early S2 (but it may not be) and still have it. It's now going through a serious upgrade to get back on the road. A bunch of interior and exterior trim bits and pieces are missing after all these years.
I've brought the body back to what I think is better than original condition and it's now in primer and ready for color.

So my first question for this group is how to identify the original BRG color used by Lotus.
Or did they use more than one over the years?

Thanks
TurbineHeli
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum folks.

It constantly amazes me how many of these early Elans you guys over the pond manage to dig out. It seems like every Elan exported to the US must have survived or been resurrected at some point judging on the numbers owned over there.

Your car doesn't look too bad in the photos Kurt, although from what you say it sounds like a new interior is on the cards. These cars aren't as easy to restore as some of the others in your history file such as the MG's, but even so they are all manageable, it might just take a little longer.

Angier, I think you might well have several answers for your original "Lotus Racing Green". Apparently you can still get the paint mixed to the original specification code, but if I were you I'd just find a shade of BRG that you like and use that. No-one will ever know, and given the number of changes we find in these cars, no-one will ever be able to call you wrong ! :D

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SonnyS » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:13 pm

UAB807F wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum folks.

It constantly amazes me how many of these early Elans you guys over the pond manage to dig out. It seems like every Elan exported to the US must have survived or been resurrected at some point judging on the numbers owned over there.

Your car doesn't look too bad in the photos Kurt, although from what you say it sounds like a new interior is on the cards. These cars aren't as easy to restore as some of the others in your history file such as the MG's, but even so they are all manageable, it might just take a little longer.

Angier, I think you might well have several answers for your original "Lotus Racing Green". Apparently you can still get the paint mixed to the original specification code, but if I were you I'd just find a shade of BRG that you like and use that. No-one will ever know, and given the number of changes we find in these cars, no-one will ever be able to call you wrong ! :D

Brian

Hi Guys,

I found this on here almost by acident...maybe its still vaild?

http://www.lotuselan.net/publish/lpc_br ... reen.shtml

Regards Sonny
SonnyS
New-tral

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for the asessment Brian but if you look closely where the hardtop meets the windshield you will notice a gap. The pictures don't show the broken windshield, the deformed cowl, and the deformed panel in front of the boot lid. I am a bit afraid of what I will get into when I tackle those areas. Of course I then have to deal with the sill reenforcement and the vast area's of body crazing that have been repaired by simply laying on a thick layer of bondo which, of course, has cracked.
As to the number of elan's and also other British roadsters that one finds over here I have some ideas.
They have always been something that folks appreciated but, at least here in the midwest, were not really used as daily drivers. If you had a place to keep them they lanquished till the brake's were bad or some other small thing got them stored permanatly.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:39 am

Gidday all,
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Jeff

This topic is one that should be addressed, it needs a proper home for individuals to find, read, and reply to. It is lost in Free Parking with Jokes and Rants among other discussions. There are some posts that are discussion within this topic also that may or may not belong. One thing is for certain is that this topic is needed so that those that come here to ask questions or offer their knowledge can see something about the others that also come here to give and get there fix of Elan information. This topic needs a sticky where ever it lands and if it all lands in the trash then some other Introduction topic needs to be in place so that we the members of the Elan community can get to know who the other members are.

Thank you

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: