Lotus Elite, Type 14 sold by auction in Canada

PostPost by: Bill » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi All

A 1962 Type 14 Lotus Elite just sold on auction in Calgary Alberta for $C 66,250. (approx, 50,000 US$). It looked to be in good original condition and had apparently been owned for 45 years by the previous owner. Strikes me as a hell of buy!!

It was an odd lot in a general equipment / vehicle auction of trucks, cars, transport vehicles and all.

I damn near bought one new back in 1963 when i was dealing with the factory but chose my Elan (26/0538) instead - the better car for my purpose.

I am curious of other members thoughts on the price it went for - I think it was sold in the wrong venue and was well under valued.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Sounds like a steel to me. A good elite is 100k +/-20k imo!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:46 am

The car was very well bought.

I examined the car on Friday. It was very complete. The windshield was cracked, but the auction lot included an entirely new windshield. Fibreglass was in excellent shape, basically reflecting a twenty odd year old repaint.

When I checked with the auction house on Friday they had about 10 internet bidders registered, with three or four from the UK. My belief is the right hand drive and location held the car back big time.

The full sale price with buyer fees was about $52K US.

I don?t know much about Type 14 Elites, but I consulted with the inimitable Ross Robbins regarding this car. It is a Series II with the interior upgrade, twin SU?s, ZF four speed. Ownership in Calgary was continuous since it was brought to Canada from the UK in 1970. In addition, the ?spares? with the lot included essentially a whole engine! Weber head, block, etc.

The car absolutely needed some love to bring it to ?the next level?, but whoever bought it will be VERY pleased. Note this is a running Elite. I spoke with the guy that assembled the car on behalf of the estate, and he seemed pretty straight up.

I would have bid but we just can?t handle another vintage/classic here heading in to winter.

I will post a proper link to the auction site shortly.

Bill is 100% correct about the car being totally out of place. The auction house specializes in repo cars, trucks, etc for our local wholesale market. I unfortunately missed the sale by about five minutes; they had two rows of cars being sold at a pace of about a car a minute.

Such a cool car!

Stu in Calgary
On the ?Edge of Empire?
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 am

Unfortunately the link to the lot listing no longer works. Here is the only picture on the regalauctions.com site I could find.

Stu
Attachments
16aa6c58-de50-4521-be99-f62779e45d56.jpeg and
This is the only picture I can find now.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: