Lotus restoration consultant-is there one out there?

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:14 am

mjbeanie wrote:Russ, My car is 9 cars downstream from yours. Yes it came thru Millerton NY as well.
Serial number 0179N. !

Not surprising but interesting! Mine is an August 1971 build, yours must be very close. I should have looked more closely at the engine bay photo. I can see the Motorola voltage regulator is still mounted to the top of the pedal box, that was part of the Lotus East AC kit. That AC option did not work very well. I got rid of mine when I first bought 0170N back in 1977. Of course being in New England, AC is not critical. My sill members were in very bad shape. I replaced them with galvanized replacements made by Spyder in the UK. These are not an identical replacement but a steel tube with the jacking points and outboard seatbelt anchors welded on. More recently stainless versions of the original configuration have become available.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:52 pm

DO you have a factory parts and workshop manual?

IF not, buy them.

The parts manual while not completely illuminating will show you many things that you need.

Be somewhat cautious of buying things like a wiring harness out of the UK, they seem to frequently forget that LHD drive cars are different.

Start with fundamentals.
Not just the side rails, but the chassis. make sure both are reliably solid before considering body work
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: